We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Egg Cards and Credit and Enquiry Searches

Options
smithja
smithja Posts: 561 Forumite
Has anyone else been accepted for an Egg card (it was actually Egg Money) and obviously had the credit search carried out at that point then they did an unrecorded enquiry 5 days later. I know it does not make any difference to my credit rating as it was unrecorded but still pondering what it was for.

I called up just to make sure everything was still okay and they said it was absolutely fine, not to worry, the card is on its way but I did wonder as I dialed their number if they do the same as Capital One and tell people they have been accepted then when they have sent in the credit agreement they send back a letter back saying "sorry you have been rejected". The Egg agreement is signed electronically so they had it on the same day as the application.

This was with Experian I am not a member of the Equifax or CallCredit services so dont know if they did the same thing with them.

James

Comments

• smithja
    Options
    Just read dellwear's post on credit searches and are they real-time and the one in front of it talking about someone who works in a banks loan department, I wonder if they were checking if I had gone on a credit shopping spree after being accepted for their product.

James
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi James, I was told by Tesco this week (who carry out additional searches after the original credit search and acceptence) that the purpose was to double check identity, address history and that the credit commitments you have advised them of are accurate. The 2nd check is a manual check and review of the credit file as opposed to an automatic credit scoring system.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • smithja
    Options
    Cheers, it would have had to have been a manual one. I just looked at it again (getting rather obessed over it :o) and it was done under a different variant of my address. I live in a block of flats and have about 4 variants on the same address, which causes no end of problems as I am sure you can imagine. Experian have told me if a creditor searches anyone of them they get the full file but they were probably making sure they had not missed anything.

James
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know the feeling ... I've not long been in the flat I live in now and it has a flat name and number and a road name and number which leads to all number of problem and confusion. To make matters worse, it's a new build so some companies don't always have the address on their system yet. Experian told me the same sort of thing and that they hold a number of different variations as some lenders use a different format for their addresses.
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • dhassen
    dhassen Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    I know the feeling ... I've not long been in the flat I live in now and it has a flat name and number and a road name and number which leads to all number of problem and confusion. To make matters worse, it's a new build so some companies don't always have the address on their system yet. Experian told me the same sort of thing and that they hold a number of different variations as some lenders use a different format for their addresses.

same here...... massive p.i.t.a. eh! Can't wait to live in a house, on a street, that has a nice old postcode, and a number.... lol
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 784 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • smithja
    Options
    I want to do exactly the same, it is pain in the **** at times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport