We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prepaid electricity

bitemarx
bitemarx Posts: 171 Forumite
Hi,

I recently moved into a property that has prepaid electricity and gas meters. I was worried about the usage and the costs intially until this morning a couple of sales guys from NPower dropped by to promote..um..NPower.
However, when I mentioned that I have prepaid meters, they stopped their pitched and said that it's the cheapest option available!

Just wondering if anyone can verify this? Is it, indeed, the cheapest option for power and gas?

Thanx!
Mukesh

Comments

  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Usually it's not cheaper as it costs more for the supplier to run, but there can be exceptions.
    Online plans are usually the cheapest.
  • Can anyone tell me where to buy the prepaid cards? at the moment the real estate sells them to my for 9£s a card I want to find out if that is a good price?
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    g0biin wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to buy the prepaid cards? at the moment the real estate sells them to my for 9£s a card I want to find out if that is a good price?

    Sorry, I am not sure I understand you, are you in the uk? Do you live in a house/flat?
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • Even I have a prepaid meter for Elecy (there is a square button on the meter and it shows the prices as 10.xx for Tier1 and 4.xx for Tier2)..Guess this is indeed the cheapest..I was about to switch to a normal credit meter, but seems like prepay is far more cheap ;-)!
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Do you buy paper tokens to put in the meter?
    If so, it is possible that your meter hasn't been programmed with recent (2-3 yrs) price changes.
    Be careful - some companies are chasing customers for the difference, some are chasing for a capped amount, and others aren't chasing at all - who are you with?
  • There is an electronic key which I can get recharged and insert into the meter, so the credit from the key gets transferred to the meter...
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,429 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Can I suggest you go to your suppliers website and check out what your rates should be? These figures seem too good to be true that I think there may be a problem. Irrespective of what is says on your meter you will still be billed on the correct tariff for your area. If there is a discrepancy unfortunately it's you that has to pay. What area are you in and with what supplier?
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Ok, I shall check on the website as well..I am about to receive a new key in a few days as I had just called up my supplier in the day and they told me that they would be issuing a new key (as I was using the old tenant's key).

    I was going by the rates that are displayed when I press the square button on the meter and it gives various info..Didn't bother to actually go by the actual units consumed and the amount I should be charged for those units.

    Shall be careful and check it up..
  • Hello,

    I have never had 'billed' Electric. Although I have encountered prepay 'key' metres...
    I use £25 monthly... One bedroom flat, washing machien, electric night storage heating and electric boiler tank thing... I am in Full time Employment but I don't use the electricty sparesly at all... laptop TV router and modem are powered pretty much all the time Im in =- ]

    Surely its cheaper than being billed ? I know that EDF Energy have just dropped there prices by 5 % from 1st of April on prepay.

    You can go to compare the market and choose 'Energy' Tab I cant post the link as a new user...

    That website allows you to make your own choice and compare the market lol.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.