We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

speeding

2»

Comments

  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The problem with these handheld Prolaser guns is that they simply output an LED display of the recorded speed. There is nothing, other than the officer's word, to prove that the reading came from your vehicle. They could have been pointing it at a passing motorbike, or even a Boeing 747 flying overhead.

    The ACPO guide for use of these things was recently revised by the esteemed and highly respected Brunstrom (aka Captain Crackpot), advising officers not to point them upwards in case they accidentally targeted a military plane. Some RAF fighters are programmed to launch an air-to-ground missile towards any ground source that "locks on" to them. I'm sure none of us would want to read the lurid headline "Speed Cop Nuked By RAF Jet".

    I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Let those who want to overtake do so, then they get the three points (and risk an accident) not you.
    So, at 60 or under there is no risk of an accident, but at 70 there is?
    How much quicker did you get to your desitnation doing 70 rather than 60?
    Generally within 1/6th less time.
    he was just being a pratt there to make money.he should be there to look out for dangerous drivers and not to act like a stationery speed camera atleast with them you get warnings
    That's not being a pratt though. If you choose to break a law don't moan when caught, however annoying it might seem.
    Happy chappy
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've had a hair raising moment in a car on a NSL road near York. Came round a corner to be faced with a car driving on the wrong side of the road attempting to overtake, as you can imagine, me going at 60 and them trying to break the land speed record, the gap was being closed at over 120mph. Do not know if they actually overtook anyone as they slotted in behind the car they were beside.
  • economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    So, at 60 or under there is no risk of an accident, but at 70 there is?


    Generally within 1/6th less time.

    Time saving is rarely proportionate. I recently made two trips from near Harlow in Essex to near Liverpool on consecutive Tuesday mornings. The first time I kept to the 70 limit the second time I kept down to 60 or 14% slower. A trip of over 200 miles and the second trip only took 13 minutes longer (4h 11m against 3h 58m) or 5.5% longer. Fuel consumption (2.5 V6) improved from 28mpg to 34mpg or 21% better.

    In summary I went 14% slower, took 5.5% longer and used 21% less fuel.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I know that it's rarely proportionate, but under certain circumstances it is.
    I sometimes travel quickly when I'm not even under any time pressure, just to keep stimulation up.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.