We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Halifax credit card to pay off overdraft

Options
ali137
ali137 Posts: 374 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hi

I have currently got a halifax one credit card with 0% interst on purchases. Can someone tell me it is possible to pay off my overdraft with this card??

I am currently paying interest with my overdraft and the bank is saying i have to pay money each month.

Help:confused:

Comments

• NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    No unfortunately Halifax won't allow you to Balance Transfer an overdraft.

To do this you need a card with SBT (Super Balance Transfer) facility. These include Egg, Egg Money, any card administered by MBNA (including the Virgin range of cards) and the Post Office Credit Card.

In addition MINT periodically issue Credit Card Cheques that can be paid into a Bank Account at Balance Transfer rates. However, this is the least satisfactory option because the cheques cannot be requested and you never know when they will drop through the letterbox.
  • Ben1982
    Ben1982 Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    And the 0% is on purchases not Balance Transfers. What you could do is put all your spending on the 0%, and use the extra that you get out of only paying the minimum, to get your overdraft reduced quicker. Just make sure you can clear the halifax card before the 0% expires.
  • ali137
    ali137 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income