Options
2»

Comments

• gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mitchb wrote: »
    Also as he or his company will be getting paid by b&q they should be abiding by b&q's rules so should expect to wait while its checked. (although the pressure on some of these drivers can mean rules / courtesy is forgotten )

Funny, I misread it as B&Q at first too.

Worth pointing out before B&Q get a bad press that this is a BARBEQUE from an asa yet unidentified company!
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you want to ask the driver to wait, why not show him a print off of the email and tell him that your only choice would be to sign for it as damaged if he will not wait for you to check that everything is there. Even the most complicated BBQ will not have that many parts anyway, and he might just be grateful for a few minutes' break!

I've kept many a driver waiting, and mostly find that if you are nice about it then so are they.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • thegeeman
    thegeeman Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    moneypooh wrote: »
    Signing for everything as 'damaged' means companies can abuse the carriers by making false/untrue claims. That doesn't seem fair.
    If there is obvious damage the best thing to do is reject the delivery completely.
    If the carrier won't wait then write that on the consigment note, 'unable to check goods as carrier wouldn't wait' that usually stops the hasty driver!

This statement may have some credibility (i.e. endorsing it as damaged even though it may not be), even though i do not feel 100% comfortable in stating it.
    So i have spoken to Consumer Direct for further advice. They have stated that companies can be in breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 with such statements (i.e they will NOT replace/repair missing parts if items are not checked on delivery) and then their subsequent refusal to either replace or repair a defective/missing part.

In addition, such an online purchase falls under the Distance Selling Regulations and as asuch, we have the right to return the item and ask for a full refund up to 7 days after the date of receiving the item.

Finally, they also confirmed that there could be no real harm in endorsing a delivery note as "damaged/missing parts" as this covers you in either eventuality; in addition, if there are NO missing or damaged parts then you are then happy with your purchase.

i hope this has helped and thank you all for your contributions. :T
  • mother_hen_2
    mother_hen_2 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    thankyou I think I understand it...lol
  • matt1987
    matt1987 Posts: 899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May i ask who the courier is?

I work in a warehouse in despatch and on all our delivery notes we stick on the goods it states that the customer has 15 minutes to check the goods before signing for them.

We use Citylink, and if the customer wants to check the goods, they have 15 minutes to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure