We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any advice please :-)

Options
Esoog
Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Greetings, I've been trying to check my balance of my HSBC credit online for the last day or two, however when I click on the balance it tells me;
There are currently no transactions on your account to display. Please select an option from the left-hand menu to continue.

Now, I know there are recent transactions, so I rang HSBC to check on it. I finally got through to a nice lady in India who told me the last transaction she could see (all previous were on previous statement so she couldn't see them?) was for £1. Now I honestly can't think of anything I'd use my CC for to pay £1 and I remember hearing that sometimes when people get hold of your details they test them first with a small amount (the woman couldn't tell me who the payment was to, apparently that will show up in a few days????).

What do you reckon I should do? I was slightly suspcious by the fact that I can't view any transactions but this might be just because its around the time they generate a statement? I did tell the woman on the phone I didnt think I'd make a payment of £1 but she wasn't really interested. My balance on the card is pretty much right at the moment.

If someone has got my details and uses them, am I covered for fraud or what? Should I ring the card hotline and tell them now? ( I did just put £325 on there yesterday to clear off some debt! Dont fancy giving someone another £300 to play with!!)

Comments

• Bismarck
    Bismarck Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Barclaycard put a pending of £1 when there's a balance transfer in the process system....don't know if that's relevant at all...hope you get to the bottom of it....
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did a balance transfer a while ago, but its cleared now so don't think thats it. Cheers anyway.
  • Spark
    Spark Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Barclaycard and sometimes I have £1 pending transaction coming up for no reason, then it's vanishing a few days later. I do not think that you will know for sure until the transaction shows up on your statement or the £1 pending transaction disappear. Just check your account every day until something shows, if it shows as a transaction and you don't remember or recognise the recipient ring HSBC straight away and tell them, they would probably block your account and send you a new card.
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    Spark - the reason for those pending transactions is because they are what are called 'pre-auths'.

This is where a company authenticates your card for a given amount. This amount then drops off the cards a number of days later (usually 7). A lot of online companies will do it simply to check the card is valid and it has *some* funds (even if not all they require). It helps them cut down on chargebacks.

Hotels can use this technique too - although many will actually charge the card and then refund.

M.
  • Spark
    Spark Posts: 817 Forumite
    Options
    MPH80, I'll have to remember that, I personally wasn't worried as I did see a threat about it a good while ago talking about it, without mentioning the reason behind it. I know a few people might be worrying about it, and I did heard of those small transactions that fraudsters use to check the cards.
    I would still check on it until it disappear, as you never know, better be safe than sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport