Life Insurance for Bodyguard when home on leave

Options
Hi, im in a bit of a pickle. My husband is a Close Protection Officer abroad and his works insurance covers him for when he at work but we cannot find insurance for when he is home (90 days per year). The main problem is he may get knocked down or become terminally ill for example so he is unable to go back to work but we have no cover for our mortgage payments. There is only one UK company to offer insurance for him but at a premium of £933 per month! im very concerned that if there is an accident when he is home or he becomes ill at work but its not work related then we loose everything. Can anyone help or does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A change of employment perhaps?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP does your OH earn alot for being a close protection officer and if so the £933 you have been quoted is worth it
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder ... if your husband has cover from an Insurer whilst at work - would not the same Insurer be willing to provide cover when he is at home? Might be worthwhile asking - not only for him but for all others doing the same work - perhaps ask your husband's employer to pose that question to the Insurer concerned?
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • HP_Guy
    HP_Guy Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder why it is so much? Obviously he is "at risk"when at work, but you want the insurance for when he is not - just seems odd to me.
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynd87 wrote: »
    Hi, im in a bit of a pickle. My husband is a Close Protection Officer abroad and his works insurance covers him for when he at work but we cannot find insurance for when he is home (90 days per year). The main problem is he may get knocked down or become terminally ill for example so he is unable to go back to work but we have no cover for our mortgage payments. There is only one UK company to offer insurance for him but at a premium of £933 per month! im very concerned that if there is an accident when he is home or he becomes ill at work but its not work related then we loose everything. Can anyone help or does anyone have any ideas?
    All you need is a standard protection policy with exclusions for the time he is abroad? I assume that when he is abroad he is at work? Or exclusions for when he is at work. I assume he will either be at no extra risk or fully insured by the employer if he is not actually doing close protection work?
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HP_Guy wrote: »
    I wonder why it is so much? Obviously he is "at risk"when at work, but you want the insurance for when he is not - just seems odd to me.
    Not at all odd, he is covered at work, but not when he isn't. He could still be hit by the proverbial bus when not at work, and this is what the OP wants the insurance for.
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Options
    It will be because it will be very difficult to separate the 2 lives that he leads and how do you put a claim down to work related or not? He gets malaria that kills him or something - did he get whilst working or whilst having his fortnight in the carribbean

Scaffolders and roofers can often be declined for income protection and smokers get huge premiums on the CI policies. It doesn't surprise me that the cost is so much.

I would say *MF* has made the more sensible approach but who knows whether this can be done.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure