Home Insurance Repairs

Options
Hi guys,

I am moving house and need home insurance. What I really want is a company that does emergency repairs for you (irrespective of excess).

The reason being, we had some windows put through years ago and the Halifax arranged for all the repairs (and no excess bizarrely) with just one phone call if I remember rightly.

Recently, we had a roof tile blow off and our current insurer basically said to just send them the bill.

100s of phone calls later and lots of promises to come round later, we finally managed to get ONE roofer to come out and give us a quote (which was rubbish!).

I don't fancy having that hassle again, so I was just wondering if people could give me a quick list of insurers that sort things out for you, and don't just leave you to your own devices! I know it sounds a bit lazy, but it's such a hassle. Tradesmen obviously have better things to do than fix my house, lol I've tried looking, but it's less than clear which ones do or don't, particularly on broker sites etc.

I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alot of insurance companies offer an additional service, usually called Home Emergency or something along those lines.

Their job is to fix leaks, board windows etc. They wont replace the window etc just stop further damage.

If you want an insurance company that will guarentee they will send their own contracter out, I think you'll be looking along time! The policy will give them the option of sending someone out but wont expressly promise it; there are jobs they just dont want to touch and putting a promise in the polucy woud compromise them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure