We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Disposing of old car batteries
bluemoon_3
Posts: 297 Forumite
in Motoring
I'm planning a trip to the tip in the next week or two, and it's the perfect opportunity to dispose of the two old car batteries that were in my garden when I moved in.
They've been there at least three years and have been rained on, snowed on, etc. They're also wedged into a difficult spot, so will probably take a bit of manoevering and tugging to get out.
Any advice about precautions and safety issues when handling them and then transporting them in my car? I'll need some sort of protective gloves, I imagine, but I don't really know what they should be made of.
Any guidance would be appreciated, no matter how obvious it seems.
They've been there at least three years and have been rained on, snowed on, etc. They're also wedged into a difficult spot, so will probably take a bit of manoevering and tugging to get out.
Any advice about precautions and safety issues when handling them and then transporting them in my car? I'll need some sort of protective gloves, I imagine, but I don't really know what they should be made of.
Any guidance would be appreciated, no matter how obvious it seems.
Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
0
Comments
-
Base should be made out of plastic, not very volatile these days due to sitting around. Just put them into a plastic tub or something as a waste to spill acid in the boot of the car.
Not heavy or anything, just acid can smell / make a mess of boot floor0 -
I you're worried about getting any acid on your hands, ordianry kitchen rubber gloves will be good enough to protect you.2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:0
-
Don't scrapyards pay you for batteries anymore?0
-
Not sure if it is the same up your way but round here (south glos.) the council will take car batteries from the doorstep with the recycling collection.0
-
Don't scrapyards pay you for batteries anymore?
There is so much paperwork involved nowadays they don't bother; about the only place is your local recycling centre.
If you are having trouble sleeping, read this lot !!
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/waste/topics/batteries/index.htm0 -
thescouselander wrote: »Not sure if it is the same up your way but round here (south glos.) the council will take car batteries from the doorstep with the recycling collection.
I'm afraid they don't here - I already phoned and asked.
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease - I wasn't sure how hazardous they were going to be, but it should be fairly straight-forward.Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j0 -
The price of lead is rising daily (hence why new batteries cost so much)
Scrap batteries are worth around £300/tonne
So not a huge amount for a single battery from a small car, but still something
If there's any sign of leaking handle with gloves or atleast wash your hands afterwards0 -
The price of lead is rising daily (hence why new batteries cost so much)
Scrap batteries are worth around £300/tonne
So not a huge amount for a single battery from a small car, but still something
If there's any sign of leaking handle with gloves or atleast wash your hands afterwards
this is true,find a few more old batteries and go to a scrap metal merchant they will pay you for them.
im a forklift engineer and i work with all sizes of batteries,the scrap merchants happily take them,but you do need to find one that has suitable premises to store and handle them....work permit granted!0 -
We sell ours to [strike] gypos[/strike] Travellers.
They normally pay about £1.50 for them.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards