We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What is a fair price for this car?

kraven
kraven Posts: 87 Forumite
I am looking for a new car and I have found something I kind of like, a BMW 330ci Auto, year 2000 on an X plate. 51k miles, with Leather and M3 wheels. Rest of it is basically as standard which is quite a lot for that car. I am assured the car is in top condition and HPI clear.

According to parkers, average miles for that car is 80k with prices for standard spec :

Dealer : £7800
Private Good : £6800
Private Poor : £5600
Part Ex : £6100

I am a cash buyer, but I know that the market is very bad for selling cars at the moment, i've been trying to sell my old car for a while now. But I have decided I need something better for the summer.

What would you offer for this ?

Comments

  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hello kraven

    I'll move your thread to the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board.

    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]!!!!!![/EMAIL].

    Regards

    Nile
    10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j [/COLOR]:cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. [/SIZE][/COLOR]Give blood, save a life. [/B]
  • happylife
    happylife Posts: 108 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    you definately should be paying less than £6000. In the current climate it's a buyers market...
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,937 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Kraven

    Just had a quick look on the BCA auction site, there a quite a few going through the auctions, I have pasted a couple or so in below to show what you can get, hope it helps ? the average price is not a bad guide, as clean may even be a little over what they are going for, the larger engine cars have taken a bit of a downturn ? so should get a bargain, I am sure Wig, harveybobbles or one or two of the other knowledgable posters may be able to advise, good luck

    HC

    BMW 330 CI 3.0 Coupe, SILVER, 2 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 88607 Miles, Margin. HY51UEV Registered 25-09-2001 Blackbushe 07-05-2008
    New: £27020 Ret:£8495 Cln:£6550Avg :£6025Blw: £5350New: £28690 Ret:£9365 Trd:£7200

    AuctionViewStock.gifBMW 330 CI 3.0 SE Convertible, BLUE, 2 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 82690 Miles, VAT Qualifying. KL04XWV Registered 06-04-2004 Walsall
    23-06-2008 New:£31145 Ret:£13195 Cln:£11050 Avg:£10100 Blw:£9100 New:£32902 Ret:£14510 Trd: £11985


    BMW 330 CI 3.0 Coupe, SILVER, 2 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 85934 Miles, Margin. X577KOX Registered 07-09-2000Belle Vue 06-05-2008
    New: £28345 Ret: £7395 Cln: £5525Avg: £5050 Blw:£4425New: £28560 Ret:£8672 Trd: £6563

    AuctionViewStock.gifBMW 330 CI 3.0 Coupe, BLUE, 2 Doors, Automatic, Petrol, 54443 Miles, Margin. Y126BPH Registered 23-03-2001 Preston 05-05-2008
    New: £28110 Ret:£9995 Cln:£7925 Avg:£7350 Blw:£6600New: £29780 Ret: £10680 Trd: £8755

    AuctionViewStock.gifBMW 330 CI 3.0 SPORT Coupe, BLACK, 2 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 103371 Miles, Margin. Y808FAA Registered 21-03-2001 Belle Vue
    06-05-2008
    New: £28790 Ret: £8350 Cln: £6325 Avg: £5750Blw :£5100 New:£30060
    Ret: £9042 Trd:£6905

    AuctionViewStock.gifBMW 330 CI 3.0 SPORT Coupe, SILVER, 2 Doors, Manual Transmission, Petrol, 40691 Miles, Margin. Y851EFS Registered 12-03-2001
    Derby 05-05-2008 New: £28790 Ret:£10795 Cln:£8775 Avg:£8150 Blw:£7375 New:£30060 Ret:£11050 Trd:£9125
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    330ci's are probably the most sort after e46 model especially if its got sport leather and will make good money plus 51k is very low miles most 3 series cars i have seen advertised are 100k plus .
    I'd of thought you'd be looking at around £6500 to £7000 it may be a buyers market as some people are saying but people will still pay good money for quality cars and its only one model below the m3 .
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    david69 wrote: »
    330ci's are probably the most sort after e46 model especially if its got sport leather and will make good money plus 51k is very low miles most 3 series cars i have seen advertised are 100k plus .
    I'd of thought you'd be looking at around £6500 to £7000 it may be a buyers market as some people are saying but people will still pay good money for quality cars and its only one model below the m3 .

    with the price of petrol these days, its the 330Cd which is even rarer and more sougbht after so they are holding their value well .... as a result, the 330Ci should have some better deals!!
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    fair point but with the price difference between petrol and diesel 10p a litre or higher you've got to be doing a good few miles a year to justify the diesel version .I dont do that many miles a year so i would go for the petrol version and anyway the original poster wanted advice on a 330ci petrol no mention of the rarer diesel !
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.