We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mechanic Recommendations

Getafix
Getafix Posts: 126 Forumite
I've spent the morning bouncing around the internet trying to find reviews of local mechanics, and although there are more review sites than you can shake a stick at, they carry very few reviews.

So if anyone can recommend a reliable mechanic in SE London, preferably with VW experience, please PM me. Any help appreciated.

Thank You

g.

Comments

  • I'd recommend my OH seeing as he's rebuilt more golfs, passats and polos than I care to remember....although we're in good old Mancunia.
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)


  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    OP you really need to chat to local folk. Word of mouth is the best way when you see some one with an older VW just ask them if the know anyone.

    London is probably not quite as easy but for any service I just ask friends and neighbours and quickly get a list of who is good, bad, cheap and expensive. Being in a fairly close knit community also helps in that if you do get legged over it is so much easier to trash a poor tradesman etc.
  • Getafix
    Getafix Posts: 126 Forumite
    I don't know many people around these parts, especially who own a vw golf :confused:
    I could try going up to people in the street, but London's not really that friendly a place.

    I'm getting an annoying knocking coming from the rear wheel, which increases with speed, so I really need a decent mechanic who can recognise the fault without giving me the runaround and insisting I need new brakes, brushes, floor mats etc :D

    Spent the afternoon trailing through the forums at http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/ trying to narrow down what could be wrong; it seems to be a common problem.

    Been advised to find a vw specialist, not a dealer, but can only find people in north london. Most just advertise servicing :confused:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    why don't you try finding a vw golf forum, then get recommendations from there? I did that with my Lucida.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • "could be either a worn shocker, worn bush on rear axle or plain and simple, your wheel's loose" - according to OH ;)
    ;)I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing;)


This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.