Which double buggy?

Options
Hi all,

In a few months time I will be needing to buy a double buggy as I will have an 11-12month old and a newborn! (I know - it's going to be hard!) I have had a little look online and in mothercare at what is available but I still don't know which sort to go for and therefore how much I will need to try to save for it.
My husband doesn't like the idea of the side by side ones as he thinks they will be awkward to get through doors. I don't agree on that point but on looking at a maclaren side by sode one in mothercare, I am concerned that they seem a bit narrow for the children (and have read a review saying the same thing).
Then theres the one in front of the other pushchairs which I am more for but my husband thinks they could be hard to get around shops too and I do see his point but we won't know until we try it.
The only other option (which my husband likes but i don't) is the phil and teds pushchair where the older child sort of sits underneath the other one. My problem with this one is that it is quite expensive and I always feel sorry for the child underneath as I would feel like I'm saying 'you're not important so you just sit in that little basket type thing down there so no one can see you'. Now I know this probably isn't true and it may just be the hormones but I really don't know what is best.
So if anyone has any experience with these different types of pushchairs and any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Taliwillow
Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:

Comments

• daphne_descends
    daphne_descends Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are really over-analysing on the phil and teds... I think they look great and if (ha ha ha) I had another baby, that's what I'd get.

What about a sling for the newborn though?
  • jungliemac
    jungliemac Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    We had a phil and teds and they are just brilliant. Expensive but worth it. They have a new model out called vibe so you may find the last model sports is reduced in a few places. Also worth considering that it can be used as a single for when youe eldest is walking!
    True MSE'r -Money Spending Expert :D
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    I loved our M&P Aria :D (which fits though most "standard" doorways - or at least it did for me!) imho it was really user friendly - more so than some single pushchairs!!! It was also very light - which with 2 pregancies close together and what that does to your back...

It depends if you would prefer a tamdem or side by side though.... Go to a large pram centre and try them out (independant stores normally have the best range tbh) Take measurements of your front door, boot space etc and then take a tape measure with you.

Good luck!
  • pinkfizz77
    pinkfizz77 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    i have a 15 month age gap and have a graco stadium duo (one in front of other) and I love it!!
    never had a problem getting round shops or through doors. can get tons of shopping underneath only downside I can think of is that little guy in the back can only see back of his sisters head unless he turns sideways lol
    I would suggest going into Mothercare or similar and test driving a few to see which you like
    mine was bought off ebay and was £130 including car seat, raincover, footmuffs and delivery. loads of bargains to be had on ebay but really helps if you know what you want first and check prices too so you know if it IS a bargain iyswim
    check reviews etc on ciao too but bear in mind there are always positive and negative, you just have to weigh them up
    the phil and teds does look good but I always worried about the little one underneath (what happens if you've got shopping, does it whack them in the head??? sorry if daft q)
    if you drive, best to check any pram will fit in (got caught out this way with my eldest lol) and that it will go through your doors at home.
    other than that, you're the one pushing it so go with what you want
    (btw I have a 15 month gap between youngest two and 10 year gap between eldest and middle and a smaller age gap is soooooo much easier lol)
    oh and good luck!!!!!!!
  • Cruiksl
    Cruiksl Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Another phil and teds person here. I had a 25 month gap and needed a double. My oldest used to climb into the back when she was tired. She still does now at 3.5 years old if we go on long walks in the afternoon. It never bothered her sitting at the back.

To be honest for the first 4-5 months - the baby will be in the lie back bit and your toddler will be in the front. Then you could swap them over and just use the back seat when your toddler needs it.

The downside is the lack of space for any shopping you do but we got around it by buying the paniers which you can fit loads into.

Yes, it's expensive but well worth the money. I use mine a lot as a single on the nursery run and also it's great if you go any walks.

Another advantage is that it's so easy to push that I can do it with one child in the pushchair onehanded and still hang onto the walking child.

hth
    So little money - so much time :mad:
  • Yorkshire-Lady_3
    Options
    I am a childminder so have road tested many buggies! My current one is a Marko Sky, which looks similar to a regualy buggy, but has a back seat stepped up behind so the one in the back see's over the front ones head! The back also reclines so it suitable for a newborn and it's really cosy in there!
  • tamarto
    tamarto Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    Side by side ones can be difficult with doorways etc. If you get a narrower version they can be a squash for the older child.

I preferred my tandem graco it took a bit of getting used to but was only difficult to manouver in small shops, but saying that i couldn't get my side by side in small shops at all.
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    wornoutmumoftwo Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    Options
    I had a one in front buggy and it was so easy when I was out and about; had baby in the back sleeping and my older boy loved being in the front.
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • Carmina_Piranha_3
    Carmina_Piranha_3 Posts: 6,586 Forumite
    Options
    My current one is a Marko Sky, which looks similar to a regualy buggy, but has a back seat stepped up behind so the one in the back see's over the front ones head!

i've seen that one in the park and it looked good - nice that the child in the back seat can see out.

there's the option of a buggypod. perhaps not great for a 12 month old.

when i was looking for a new buggy for my enormous child i had a look locally but choice was limited. so i took measurements and started to measure other people's prams at the toddler group :o i also emailed ebay sellers to ask them to measure the seat depth/backrest etc. on their prams.
    'bad mothers club' member 13

* I have done geography as well *
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    We have a 26 month gap and have been very happy with our Jane Powertwin (tandem 3-wheeler). Really easy to manoeuver, narrower wheel base than the Phil&Ted (can get through narrower doorways!) and not much longer, and way more comfortable for both children. The baby lies flat in the back to begin with, later on you can swap them round. Only downside in my view is that it's bulky and heavy when folded up - I wouldn't want to lift it in and out of the car boot too often.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure