Egg coming to end - cash to savings now?

Options
Hi

Abbey exp Jan 06
M & S exp Jan 06
Egg exp end sep 05

Hi
Ive been moving the cr limits to Egg then savings acc. Now my egg is about up, Ive asked for extension - no. Ive attempted Virgin & Lloyds - no. Yesterday Natwest said Yes but by the time they get their fingers out, will be to late to clear off Egg (1/10/05) so Ill have to use my savings/stooze pot.

If I get a Natwest, how do I now get the credit limit fund to savings? Egg charge me now Im out of the special deal so its not worth paying the charge for the 5% interest? Or is it?

Advice please much appreciated.

Thanks
RichT
RichT

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If I get a Natwest, how do I now get the credit limit fund to savings? Egg charge me now Im out of the special deal so its not worth paying the charge for the 5% interest? Or is it?
    The Egg balance transfer fee was only introduced for people who got the card recently. You are probably ok. If not from memory I think it only applied during the 0% periods anyway (I may be wrong) in which case it still doesn't apply.

If so just BT between NatWest -> Egg -> Bank, leaving nothing on your Egg card.
  • Lendusapund
    Options
    Hi
    The only thing is that by mid-sep I will have to make transfer from stooze pot as dont thing Natwest will be ready by then (to ensure Egg doesnt chg me interest etc). So - if eggs clear and at the end of its free 0% & nil charges, ...

Regards
    RichT
  • smartsaver
    Options
    Thats the way I understand it. Wouldn't hold ur breath for Nat West. They gave us a piddley £700.00 (the lowest ever) when I've got 18k with MBNA... :( Unless you bank with Nat West - then you might be luckier..
  • Lendusapund
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Dont mean to stretch this out too much but, avoiding transfer costs (as that would eat all my profit), how to I get money into stooze pot now that my Egg 0% period (and free tfr period also) has finished?

I realise I can still play the game with the 2 existing cards Ive got - these expire end Jan, however I was playing with 3 initially. I didnt swap egg card for new card as I was getting turned down by Lloyds & Virgin . (Hope to be more ready for swapping next 2 cards rather than paying out of stooze fund).

Thanks
    RichT
    RichT
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Options
    1) If your Egg T&Cs are the same as mine, there is no balance transfer fee EXCEPT during the 0% periods.

2) I was in your situation very recently. Applied mid-July for Virgin credit card, got an online confirmation of acceptance, but Virgin wrote to me a week later rejecting me. By this point I only had a little over 4 weeks to go before my Egg 0% ran out. I applied to Lloyds TSB (knowing I'd get accepted as I have had an exemplary banking record with them since I was 12) but I took a while to submit my application as I had my purse nicked (with my Egg card in it) and had to wait for the new one so I could instruct the correct number for the BT. Once everything was going through, I only had a week left on Egg 0% so I decided to pay the balance from my stooz pot. I phoned up Egg to ask whether, once the BT went through, I could get it transferred back to my current account and they said yes. Went through last week (LTSB messed up the BT and it took ages!) so I phoned them up and the cash went into my current account a couple of days ago.

HTH
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Lendusapund
    Options
    Hi

So, if my Eggs no longer free for moving cash to the stooze pot, what other free method can be used? As I said earlier, any charges would simply wipe my profit clean.

Thanks
    RichT
    RichT
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So, if my Eggs no longer free for moving cash to the stooze pot, what other free method can be used? As I said earlier, any charges would simply wipe my profit clean.
    If you're a pre-May 1st applicant (you should be if your intro period ended on 1st October), you can continue to do fee-free BT's even after your introductory period ends.

You then have two choices:

1. Put your Egg card into positive balance and then SBT from your current account. You may have to do the SBT in 2 stages due to the 95% rule. After reading of someone elses plight on the Fool website, I'd advise doing the SBT's by the online balance transfer function, rather than calling them up and asking for a BACS payment to your current account.

2. SBT from your current account and then pay back with the BT to your new card. This way will incur a small amount of interest, but if you time it right this should be kept to a minimum. This method also doesn't "draw attention" from Egg's "unusual transactions department"!
  • Lendusapund
    Options
    Thats great news YB - thanks. Id been looking on the Egg site but couldnt find anything which was especially for early cards.

I'll follow your advice & get going again.

Thanks
    RIchT
    RichT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills