Dramatic change of circumstance - single DFW advice?

Evening all,

I was a regular on this board a while ago but haven't been on for a while. Thanks to the advice on here I paid off most of my unsecured student debt (only car loan left which is a very managable monthly bill), bought a house with my boyfriend and i thought i was on for a rosy future.

And then life turns round to bite you on the bum.

The short version of the story is OH left me (and the house) a few weeks ago. He has agreed to pay 1/2 the mortgage for 2 months (May and June). So i need to cover all the bills in that time frame and then either buy him out or allow him to buy me out (and find somewhere else to live).

I have worked out that i CAN afford to do this. And I can then afford to rent on my own and save up (to add to the capital i get out the house) for a future deposit. There is the possibility i can share with a friend but don't want to get my hopes up too much about this.

So i guess my question is, is there something i should be doing as a single person to minimise expenses during this time? There are bound to be extra expenses coming up (i already bought a TV as he took ours :mad: ) - rental deposits etc and i want to be as prepared as possible.

Council tax is sorted - that was the first thing i thought of as being different for singles.

I feel like i have never lived on my own before. Although i have done it for 2.5 weeks now without even noticing so it can't be that bad!!

Food bill should go down now i don't have to buy Ben&Jerrys icecream and bloody expensive coffee! :A

Comments

• lisabell
    lisabell Posts: 147 Forumite
    Hi

Am sorry to hear about whats gone on with your ex.
    Most of your bills should now come down though ie gas and electris as there is only you know and also maybe its worth considering a water metre as that will help bring the bills down to try changing the phone and broadband package if you have one.
    And also sky tv if you have that you could cancel it or drop the package.
    Lisa
    DMP No-- 164
    Our wonderful baby 'pip' miscarried at 6 weeks:(
  • SuzySu
    SuzySu Posts: 3,478 Forumite
    Hi

Can't really advise has I have not been in that situation (yet....) but will follow this thread with interest.

Just wanted to wish you all the best and you know there is a lot of support on here.
    YOUR = belonging to you (your coat); YOU'RE = you are (I hope you're ok)

really....it's not hard to understand :T
  • GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    Hi findingmyownway. Glad you've done well with paying the debts and sorry about the way life has turned out recently for you. You sound as though you've got things sorted in your mind. Why don't you post up an updated SOA for us to have a look at. I suppose as a DFW you've already thought of the obvious such as checking your with the cheapest providers, insurance etc and going through Quidco to renew things.

I see you've paid off your credit cards. Did you incur any charges whilst you had them? If so reclaim them. I've just had £221 back from Halifax.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    good luck and big hugs :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: (i always think they look so dodgy), and believe me it ends up being so much cheaper living without a partner...

i live alone, (OH lives across town), and the first major saving is on sleeping tablets as he snores like a trooper!!!! oh yeah and on andrex loo roll as he can bring himself to use nothing else.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • I guess its just a case of keeping busy - perhap join some challenges to make sure you are making the most of your money, could you do an SOA - not for us but for you to make sure you have covered every thing?

xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Hello!

My OH upped and left me about 6 months ago (with 4 children) and I immediately noticed we used less loo roll, no coffee to buy either (he had very expensive pod things), food bill esp cereal and milk cut by a third and laundry was far less even though I have very young children who delight in mud and muck!

I have also managed to cut the fuel bills by 25% not sure about water yet and am eating into the debts he created and left behind.

Life is not easy, but now the shock is over and I have learned to cope alone, I am far happier than I ever was with him. Sad really but reality.

Hope you are happy, (or at least getting there).

I would just look at every little aspect of your finances and see if you can get a better deal, seek benefits if you are on a low income and keep on chatting to the DFWers.
    AAFU
  • Thanks guys, yeah i changed the gas, electric providers etc last year. Probably not on the cheapest tariff now the prices have changed again in spring but i don't think i'll be here more than a few months anyway. Same goes for the water meter, if i was staying i would deffo get one as we have gone from 5 people to 1 (his 3 kids used to live with us half the week - i think i miss them more than i miss him!).

We did have the full SKY HD package but he paid for that out of his personal account (i was never bothered about paying £50 for a million crappy channels) & he took the box etc when he moved out. I did use the sky+ recording function though and so I bought a freeview digital recorder thingy from Asda for £75 which will do me just fine for no monthly payments ;) .
  • Hello!

My OH upped and left me about 6 months ago (with 4 children) and I immediately noticed we used less loo roll, no coffee to buy either (he had very expensive pod things), food bill esp cereal and milk cut by a third and laundry was far less even though I have very young children who delight in mud and muck!

I have also managed to cut the fuel bills by 25% not sure about water yet and am eating into the debts he created and left behind.

Life is not easy, but now the shock is over and I have learned to cope alone, I am far happier than I ever was with him. Sad really but reality.

Hope you are happy, (or at least getting there).

I would just look at every little aspect of your finances and see if you can get a better deal, seek benefits if you are on a low income and keep on chatting to the DFWers.
    AAFU

Thanks, i am suprisingly happy most of the time. Its up and down but i think getting on with sorting out finances and making sure i am ok on that score really helps.

I don't need to claim benefits, am on a good salary for my age (25yo).

I know the expensive coffee pod things you mean!!! Whats wrong with good old fashioned instant on BOGOF ? :o
  • Hippychick
    Hippychick Posts: 738 Forumite
    I won't need the life insurance if i am renting but i may consider getting some kind of income-protection insurance. Is that a good idea? I never worried about being injured / ill before as i knew OH could cover things if needed. But i guess i need to learn only to rely on myself now.

Sorry to hear of your r/ship break up, tbh as a recipiant myself of income protection insurance it has been an absolute godsend, I was lucky enough in that my employers provided the policy but for me personally it has given me my life back.

(I currently get 75% of my salary as I am unable to work due to inflammatory arthritis)

If you can afford it comfortably it is something worth checking out, hopefully you will never need to claim but unfortunately illness can sometimes strike at the worst moments.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    You mentioned council tax at the beginning, but I couldn't see it on your soa ?? :D
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £1044
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family