Rejection of Undated Cheque

Options
Doing a search on MSE, I found a 2005 post which included:

From the British Bankers Association:

"The date of a cheque is important. If it is missing the bank may either insert it or refuse payment. An undated cheque can be valid but sometimes, depending on the circumstances, the bank will return it with the ?date required' marked on it. So remember to always fill in the date.

I've just searched the BBA website and searched on "undated cheque" and "date on cheque" but couldn't find a similar statement.

Do you know why Nationwide would decide that it had to return a cheque for £850 (signed and otherwise correctly made out) with a note saying "unfortunately we were unable to take your cheque as it wasn't dated" instead of writing the date on it?

It was paid in at a branch ATM on Saturday morning and put back in the post to my OH on Tuesday. Why do they take so long to process the cheque?

Comments

• Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    It would have been sent down to the processing department Saturday.
    They would have only looked at it Monday morning. (first working day)
    Assuming it was Monday morning of course, could be afternoon.
    Then they would have to find out where it came from
    Forwarded back to branch Tuesday and then posted that evening.

Not that long at all, probably as quick as they physically could have done it.

If the bank had written the date on it they would have been commiting an offence.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The BSA's website says:
    10. Always be sure to date cheques - undated cheques are likely to be returned with a request to include a date.
    (from http://www.bsa.org.uk/mediacentre/press/cheque_sept.htm).

There's certainly no obligation on a bank (or BS) to write the date on for you.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Riq wrote: »
    It would have been sent down to the processing department Saturday.
    They would have only looked at it Monday morning. (first working day)
    Assuming it was Monday morning of course, could be afternoon.
    Then they would have to find out where it came from
    Forwarded back to branch Tuesday and then posted that evening.

Not that long at all, probably as quick as they physically could have done it.

If the bank had written the date on it they would have been commiting an offence.

I wondered about that, given the statement I included in my original post of "If it is missing the bank may either insert it or ...." as I don't know what offence would actually be committed.

No big thing really - OH will just get virtually no interest on his Flex account balance for April. (He likes to keep much more than necessary in that account.) Fortunately, he didn't write any cheques in anticipation of it clearing.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    The BSA's website says: (from http://www.bsa.org.uk/mediacentre/press/cheque_sept.htm).

There's certainly no obligation on a bank (or BS) to write the date on for you.

Thanks MMD (though the link doesn't work for me).
  • medic1978
    medic1978 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks MMD (though the link doesn't work for me).

Try http://www.bsa.org.uk/mediacentre/press/cheque_sept.htm
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry - MSE parsed the link wrongly. Now corrected.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered about that, given the statement I included in my original post of "If it is missing the bank may either insert it or ...." as I don't know what offence would actually be committed.

No big thing really - OH will just get virtually no interest on his Flex account balance for April. (He likes to keep much more than necessary in that account.) Fortunately, he didn't write any cheques in anticipation of it clearing.
    I personally don't know what law it was, but that is what I was told when I was a cashier at natwest anyway. :)
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So your OH, even if he didn't write the cheque, will simply insert the date / deposit it ..... and they will accept it. Which merely goes to show you were unfortunate enough to get a jobsworth on ATM duty!

I've worked alongside organisations doing remittance processing and handling up to 200k cheques daily. Admittedly they bank via the back door and straight into the processing centres. But I've never seen a cheque returned because it was missing a date.

Which just shows what an idiocy some of these front end checks made at local level are. Branch staff seem oblivious of what happens in the heart of their own organisations. Which, in turn I suppose, suggests they get little feedback from the owners of the background processes?

Cue righteous indignation;)
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure