cleaning grout in the bathroom

hi everyone! i've seen a couple of threads on cleaning grout in bathroom for mildew, but does anyone have any views on being able to clean the grout around the toilet pedestal of urine stains? we have had the grout taken out and replaced in the past but i want to avoid that...we've tried bleaching, using a steel brush and steam, and nothing works...also, the tiles are porous so i cannot use anything that does not work with porous tiles (just to make it more complicated!!! any ideas? thanks in advance!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Replies

• phill99phill99 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you thought about putting silicon mastic around the base of the pedestal. A good quality one like a Dow Corning with and Anti fungicidal addditive. Alternatively, maybe an old toothbrish and bleach?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • adazeadaze Forumite
    623 Posts
    Anyone used the grout whitening "pens" or similar?

I accidentally spilt a cup of tea down our newly grouted white bathroom tiles (don't ask :cool:) and subsequently stained the grout. I don't want to have to regrout...
  • lawrie28lawrie28 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    the misses did our bathroom with a couple of whitening pens, worked really well. We did it as we were selling, so can;t tell you the long term results though. Looked good for the couple of months we were there.
  • adandemadandem Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    adaze wrote: »
    Anyone used the grout whitening "pens" or similar?

I accidentally spilt a cup of tea down our newly grouted white bathroom tiles (don't ask :cool:) and subsequently stained the grout. I don't want to have to regrout...

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=100127

This looks really good, I've used a similar product in our kitchen and it's very durable.
  • Bungarm2001Bungarm2001 Forumite
    686 Posts
    I find that cillit bang lime and grime plus a bit of good old fashioned elbow grease + a scrubbing brush does the job, and I get the enviable task of cleaning up bathrooms in students lets after they leave! :(

I've found after trying all sorts of cleaning products that this is the only combination that works.

We ALWAYS use silicon around the loo and wasbasins...much easier to clean. :D
  • emweaveremweaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Ive tried bleach and a tootbrush and loads of elbow grease on the grout in our shower. Its quite stained was like it when we moved in and I have a go every time I clean the bathroom but doesnt look any better and it looks dirty.

Does cilit bang work on the grout too?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Bungarm2001Bungarm2001 Forumite
    686 Posts
    I found Cillit bang is really good on grout. Like I say though, I do use it with a big old fashioned scrubbing brush.
  • FrevskiFrevski Forumite
    6 Posts
    I have found that whitening toothpaste works pretty well.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides