Paypal claim help please :-)

Options
I'm the seller.

I sent a valuable item by special delivery to a buyer on 28th April. They were not in when delivery was attempted and so the item has gone to their local post office depot. On the same day the buyer opened a dispute in paypal saying that the item was not received and that they required proof of delivery. I have emailed them the details.

Where do I stand with paypal now? They have frozen my account until the dispute is resolved. I'm a little worried that the buyer is going to collect the item from their depot and still try to claim through paypal. Is Royal Mail Special Delivery sufficiently trackable for me to be able to prove to paypal that he has had the item?

Now I remember why I gave up selling on ebay :cry:

Comments

• cplatten
    cplatten Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I fully understand why you gave up selling on Ebay - probably for a lot of the same reasons I did. And they are also the same reasons to join the ongoing worldwide boycott!

Be glad you sent the item Special Delivery as it is the most trackable. The Royal Mail website will tell you whether it has been collected and even show you a copy of the signature when a Special Delivery item is signed for. This is the ultimate proof of whether the buyer has the item.

However, whether Paypal will accept it very easily is another matter. Ebay and Paypal are proud to say that they now come down on the side of the buyer in all disputes! Their customer service is non-existent in dealing with these matters.

They are also freezing sellers accounts for all sorts of nebulous reasons such as changing User ID and posting about the boycott on Ebay forums! They now want to withhold payment to a seller until a buyer leaves positive feedback! They have got so power-hungry lately!

You just have to work your way through the ridiculous dispute forum now and jump through their hoops. Hang in there and good luck.
  • Weymouth_Man
    Options
    frafferty wrote: »
    I'm the seller.

I sent a valuable item by special delivery to a buyer on 28th August. They were not in when delivery was attempted and so the item has gone to their local post office depot. On the same day the buyer opened a dispute in paypal saying that the item was not received and that they required proof of delivery. I have emailed them the details.

Where do I stand with paypal now? They have frozen my account until the dispute is resolved. I'm a little worried that the buyer is going to collect the item from their depot and still try to claim through paypal. Is Royal Mail Special Delivery sufficiently trackable for me to be able to prove to paypal that he has had the item?

Now I remember why I gave up selling on ebay :cry:

Sorry to hear about your problem, surely you have all your proof with tracking the delivery, Please see link
    http://track.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=400025&catId=400028
    All the best, I hope it turns out good, That's why you use Special Deliveries.
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • pdel61
    pdel61 Posts: 940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    frafferty wrote: »
    I'm the seller.

I sent a valuable item by special delivery to a buyer on 28th August.

Did you mean April?
  • frafferty
    frafferty Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    pdel61 wrote: »
    Did you mean April?
    :D Yes I did, I was distracted by my bored toddler as I was typing. Have changed OP now.
  • frafferty
    Options
    cplatten wrote: »
    However, whether Paypal will accept it very easily is another matter. Ebay and Paypal are proud to say that they now come down on the side of the buyer in all disputes! Their customer service is non-existent in dealing with these matters.

I'm eligable for the Seller Protection Policy - does that change anything?

Here's hoping as I don't want to kiss my money goodbye! Mind you it is already safely in my bank account so I don't think they can get it back from there...can they?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If item was sent to a confirmed address and is eventually collected by the buyer then it will show as tracked and delivered and you will win the paypal chargeback. if the address was not confirmed you will lose either way.

if item does not show as delivered then buyer has not receievd their goods and will obviously win the chargeback. However although you will lose the chargeback you should get your parcel back from the Royal mail as uncollected so you won't have lost out on item and money. The worst case scenario would be that bueyr does not receive their goods and Royal mail do not return it to you, in that case you will lose the chargeback but be able to make a claim against the Royal mail.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • frafferty
    Options
    Soolin - thank you, thank you, thank you! I can sleep easier tonight now :D
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    what were the timescales involved?
    just wondering why the buyer started a dispute
    was there a delay in despatch or something?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    what were the timescales involved?
    just wondering why the buyer started a dispute
    was there a delay in despatch or something?

Good point custardy, I hadn't noticed the tight time frames we were talking about. If the buyer could raise a claim on the 28th they must have paid 7 days before which means the seller is possibly outside the time frame for seller protection :eek:

OP, can you please clarify the date on which the buyer paid.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure