8 hour stopover at JFK

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
7 replies 1K views
fiendishlyfiendishly Forumite
266 Posts
I wonder if anyone knows if I will be able to leave the airport as my stopover is so long, and if so, what's inexpensive that I could possibly do or see in that time?
:beer:

Replies

• nelly_2nelly_2
    17.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its 45 mins to manhatten, call it an hour to be on the safe side. You could do the Empire state, times square and get a meal in too (in times square) if you have to bottle that is :)

We flew into JFK knowing we only had 4 hours to get through passport control (which is bad in the USA) get a taxi and book into the cruise for our honeymoon!!!!!

But we went for it and made it.
  • fiendishlyfiendishly Forumite
    266 Posts
    Would I do passport control at JFK, or at my destination, Phoenix? I've never had to change before and googling hasn't helped, so I would be very grateful if anyone knows!
  • blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiendishly wrote: »
    Would I do passport control at JFK, or at my destination, Phoenix? I've never had to change before and googling hasn't helped, so I would be very grateful if anyone knows!

You do the Immigration checks at your first port of entry, in your case JFK.

With 8 hours layover you have time to go into Manhattan.

As nelly says factor about 1 hour each way and say be at the airport 1 hour before departure.
    You will have a through ticket so will not have luggage and will have a boarding card already so no need to re check in (just get through security...)

Should give you about 5 hours in Manhattan.

Enjoy.
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Immigration then customs, then drop off bags, = 1 hour, then get into manhattan, take the airtrain for $5, and the subway for $2...

as you are connecting, you'll only have to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure, but i'd make sure you're there 1 hour before...

the queues are always less to go up to the Top Of The Rock, than the Empire State, and personally I think the views are better

http://gallery.mac.com/mark.m#100031
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will have the time as long as the connecting flight will let you check in your bags eight hours in advance. Not sure if this will be possible as the desk may only open two or three hours before your flight departs. You don't want to be lugging cases in and out of NY!
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    martindow, when flying from the UK, the bags are always checked to final destination, however you'll still collect them to go through customs, and then recheck at the connections desk... then you are free to do what you want..

there should not be an issue at all, as the bags are already checked to final destination regardless...

M
  • fiendishlyfiendishly Forumite
    266 Posts
    You're very helpful, thank you.
    I do remember last time it took me over 3 hours to get through immigration, with the massive queues and the fingerprints and eye scanning, but you never know, I might get into Manhattan!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals