PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If You Are Moving... Don't Find Yourself Off the Road

Yeah, I know. It's all my own fault ....

I do everything as long after the last minute as possible.

So, it's tax disc renewal day. And I want to tax my car.
Except, oops, sort of didn't ever get round to changing my address on anything because I wasn't sure how long I'd be around/what was happening and I have a communal hallway where all mail hangs about for anybody.

So I just went online to tax my car and I can't because my vehicle registration document is still registered to my old address. I'd had post forwarding so receiving things wasn't an issue and I'd thought I'd change it 'sometime'. Just laziness, leaving things until the last minute.

But I've also not received my insurance documents, quick call to the insurance company and they're reissued. So I can't go down the Post Office and do it. And it's Wednesday, so I just realised the Post Office is closed anyway.

So now car is off the road from midnight tonight, hoping car insurance docs will be through by Friday so I can go buy a tax disc at the Post Office and hand over my Registration Document then and be back on the road by Fri/Sat.

Now, I know I should have done it sooner. I know I'm supposed to keep the DVLA updated, it's just I am rubbish at getting round to personal paperwork until I have to. It's just the way it is.

So, gotta go do a big shop now, just in case the insurance documents don't get here until Tuesday!

:)

So. Top Tip: if you're planning a move and your tax disc is coming up for renewal, try to do it all early/online before you move. You can get the tax disc online if you have the Reminder Notice they send you, your MoT is one of the newer electronic ones and if your Registration Document has your correct address. It can take up to 4 weeks for them to process the form and issue it to you at a new address. You can't change your address online and any tax disc will be sent to the registered address (which for me would mean it was forwarded to my parents and then they'd forward it on up to 2 weeks after they received it, so big delay!)

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I did a similar thing when I moved last year, and went on the DVLA website, looked up the information on what to do when you move, and filled in the form to get my license chanced. I (wrongly) presumed this would also be linked to the tax database, given they are the same company, but NO! Just managed to get the new one on time, but the post office then wouldn't let me pay with my credit card, so I had to go home, do some online transferring of funds, then go back again.

And it was raining.

Pah! Hopefully I won't be moving for quite some time now, and my next move will be abroad!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Oh sugar!! Tax is due today, had completely forgotten with all the renovation work / moving etc we're doing. Cheers P-N, must get it sorted!
  • Overthetop
    Overthetop Posts: 207 Forumite
    I have moved a couple of times in the last three years and eventually came across the site "I am moving" which i found of great help re reminding me what needed to be done...must admit though still have not changed my GP which I know I need to do:o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    With me, I know what I SHOULD be doing ... I just ... er .. sit on it.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Thanks for the reminder, I need to nip down to the PO myself for a tax disk.

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done...
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the reminder, I need to nip down to the PO myself for a tax disk.

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done...

Don't forget ... if it's the last minute ... there's still tomorrow :P

You used to be able to have a sort of grace period of 14 days with tax. Not legally, but they'd certainly let you off as it was a great big unwritten "known". But they tightened that up a number of years back, so now I wouldn't dare take the car out after midnight tonight. Whereas before I'd have done it as I knew MoT/insurance were in place and I'd be taxing it shortly.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Don't forget ... if it's the last minute ... there's still tomorrow :P

A Cornishman goes on holiday to Spain.

Wherever he goes he hears "Manana ... manana ... manana"

Finally he asks his hosts "Eere, wass all this 'manana' caper 'bout?"

"Manana means tomorrow."

"Oh, ees, we've got a word like that over to Penwith, tho' we do say
    'dreckly'. Mind you, 'dreckly' adden got the saame sense of urgincy as
    'manana'."
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • lonestar1
    lonestar1 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Dont forget if your car tax expires and you havent renewed or filled out a SORN They can hit you with a fine even if your car is off the road (Sooner you get that tax disc the better)
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been thinking about this with my (hopefully) impending move around July. I'm anal about lists and post it notes but I'm gonna keep a list of everyone/everything I inform of my change of address and keep it as a word document. That way, when I come to move again, I'll know exactly who to tell. And you can update it by checking it off with the post you receive. I'm so clever. :D :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure