Roof insulation

I am thinking about putting some flooring for some storage in the loft as well as increasing the insulation that we have in there. the house if a 1950s terrace and can be cold. i was wondering if there is anything i can put directly under the roof and not on the floor of the loft. at the moment you can see the roof slate tiles. i was thinking about putting some of the polystyrene type insulation in the joists something like Kingspan Thermapitch TP10 Roof Insulation from b&q. Will this be ok to do?

Replies

• foxwalesfoxwales Forumite
    590 Posts
    You can buy big silver sheets which are padded that you can attach to the roof joists with a heavy duty stapler. It helps reflect heat back into the house and makes your attic space look like a big space tent! Cheap and easy to fit!
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, what are you planning to do to get both a decent level of insulation to the loft floor and have flooring for storage? Putting the flooring directly over joists is not ideal as you are not going to get anywhere near the recommended depth of insulation and you will get "cold bridging" where the insulation does not cover the joists. For optimum insulation you should insulate between the joists then insulate over them at right angles (assuming you're using rolls of insulation) - but you can't lay flooring if you do this.

I saw some products advertised that claim to combine an insulating layer with a board suitable for storage, but I couldn't find anything at a sensible price and available locally. In the end I bought a load of pre-treated 4x2 lengths and layed them over the joists at right angles (to effectively make another layer of "joists", nailed to the original joists), then insulated between the new "joists" and laid the flooring on top. I don't know if there's a better or more cost effective solution.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • adazeadaze Forumite
    623 Posts
    Don't forget about ventilation...
  • alexwhitalexwhit Forumite
    10 Posts
    benjus wrote: »
    By the way, what are you planning to do to get both a decent level of insulation to the loft floor and have flooring for storage? Putting the flooring directly over joists is not ideal as you are not going to get anywhere near the recommended depth of insulation and you will get "cold bridging" where the insulation does not cover the joists. For optimum insulation you should insulate between the joists then insulate over them at right angles (assuming you're using rolls of insulation) - but you can't lay flooring if you do this.

I saw some products advertised that claim to combine an insulating layer with a board suitable for storage, but I couldn't find anything at a sensible price and available locally. In the end I bought a load of pre-treated 4x2 lengths and layed them over the joists at right angles (to effectively make another layer of "joists", nailed to the original joists), then insulated between the new "joists" and laid the flooring on top. I don't know if there's a better or more cost effective solution.

I was going to lat the floor over the top of the existing insulation on the celing and then put the roof insulation on as well. for what i can remember there are ventalation "holes" in there. i might do what you have done with the 4x2
    10 Posts
    benjus wrote: »

Was it this you was looking at?

http://www.space-insulation.com/board.html
  • robnyerobnye Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    foxwales wrote: »
    You can buy big silver sheets which are padded that you can attach to the roof joists with a heavy duty stapler. It helps reflect heat back into the house and makes your attic space look like a big space tent! Cheap and easy to fit!

this is used when loft conversions are done..... we had it, the loft looked like the inside of a space ship,until they covered it up with plasterboard and plaster..... room is toasty most of the year........ (exceptionally colds are warmed by putting heating on
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
    10 Posts
    foxwales wrote: »

Can you remember what it is called?
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    10 Posts
    it does seem a little steep. i think i will just get some 4x2 and top up he insulation then add the floor. at the moment there is no felt under the slate on the roof. will this have to be done first or can i use anything else and use it directly next to the slate?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES