Options
2»

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be_Happy wrote: »
    Thanks Espresso and Mute_posting. Going back to look at ease of taking cover off trunking. Did think of this, but thought trunking might be part of meter installation controlled by power company and I could be accused of tampering with meter if I went into it.

The trunking is your responsibility and not part of the meter installation.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    If anything is sealed by the electric board it will have a wire crimped with a ferrule, you should not enter anything tagged by that. However that trunking is perfectly safe to unclip, I think your timeswitch is just flicking your tariffs over by the picture as its not totally clear. They have bunched the tails of the timer to get its supply feed from your meter. Just clip the energy monitor ct style ring around the red coloured tail to the right side of your meter before it dissapears into the trunking.
    Please support my thanks button if I have been of any help
    >
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Garz wrote: »
    Just clip the energy monitor ct style ring around the red coloured tail to the right side of your meter before it dissapears into the trunking.

Thanks. The red cable was the one needed for clipping the monitor to, but the actual clip on the monitor was fairly large and too wide for the cable showing. However, removing the trunking has given more cable available to connect to.

I'm going to monitor the usage for a month, then refit the trunking and pass the monitor on to other family members who want to use it, so this will prevent having the open cables in the meter cupboard which is used for storage.

I've already plugged individual appliances into a plug type monitor at various times to see how much they use over a space of time, but hopefully this monitor will alert me to anything I've missed whose power consumption can be economised on.
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the sensor attached to the transmitter via a headphone style plug?

If so you could pass that out of the trunking and you can put the lid back on.

Looking closely at the photo, it appears (like Garz suggests) the tails feeding the meter are the red and black ones to the right of the meter - by clamping on either of these you will be monitoring the usage in the entire property (i.e. domestic sockets and lighting AND any storage heaters, immersion heaters etc)

If you just want to measure the domestic, I would suspect the grey cable with the blue tape probably feeds the (new) MK consumer unit on the right (based on the new harmonised colours)

Oh, BTW - from your meter readings it looks like you (or previos occupiers) have managed to use just over 51% of their electricity at the low rate :T

Please vote in my off-peak usage poll :beer: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=839209

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, BTW - from your meter readings it looks like you (or previos occupiers) have managed to use just over 51% of their electricity at the low rate :T

Please vote in my off-peak usage poll :beer: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=839209

MP

Thanks for info Mute_posting. By carefully controlling use of day and night electricity eg setting dishwasher, washing machine, even phone charger, etc to come on overnight and trying to use day rate economically, we are now running at 70% low rate. I've already voted on your poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure