Smart Car

Cacran
Cacran Posts: 527 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Does anyone know how economical Smart Cars actually are. With fuel costs at an all time high, I was wondering whether it would save a lot to have a smart car as a second car. Our insurers say that the quote on our family car has gone up as we no longer have two cars.
Keep on trucking!

Comments

• have a look at peachorlemon.com there are a lot of actual owner reviews of all the Smart range there. It seems they are pretty economical but some seem to suffer from poor build quality and high maintenance costs and they are not diy friendly so swings & roundabouts i'm afraid.

Not quite in the same league but I bought the OH a '96 Nissan Micra 4 years ago and it has never let us down and has only incurred servicing costs (which I do myself) and a couple of tyres, its an automatic and still does 35+mpg.
    My mother in law drives a Toyota Prius which is ultra economical but cost £20k.

Insurance companies are sharks and theres no reward for loyalty nowadays have a phone around for a better deal maybe?
  • autismmum
    autismmum Posts: 444 Forumite
    have you seen what happens to someone in one of those at 40 mph crash.... yuck try a safer aygo, great fuel economy and 35 per year road tax
    totally debt free:j and mortgage free too 2010
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, what's an aygo?
    Keep on trucking!
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    An Aygo is the smallest Toyota but is exactly the same car as the Peogeot and Citroen (not sure of model names) they are all made at the same factory, they just change the badge & up the price.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • LouLee2008
    LouLee2008 Posts: 306 Forumite
    I have a Peugeot 107, which is the same as a aygo, even has a toyota engine,
    averaage price of insurance 300-400
    Tax is £30 for a whole year
    and Tend to get about 300-400 miles out of a full tank, which cost about £35
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I've moved this to the Motoring Board :)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move discussions from the MoneySaving boards if they’re not related to MoneySaving to help everyone find the MoneySaving tips and discussion quicker (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to Discussion Time/The Arms. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure