Been silly I would like to cancel but have already paid for item HELP

Options
Hi

I have recently won a Buy it now (within last 2 hours) on some supermarket vouchers about 200 pounds worth. I didnt read the listing properly (not feeling well, but still I know I should have read it). It says that I have to wait 30 days for the vouchers. I have already paid through paypal, but I would like to cancel this as I need the vouchers within the week really.
Cant believe Ive been so foolish.
Anyway I was wondering how I can cancel.

Thanx

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You can't - you agreed to buy them. It's your own fault you didn;t read the listing. You could try emailing the seller and asking nicely but don;t be surprised if they say no.

Can;t you just use them when they arrive?
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got alarm bells ringing here, ebay..supermarket vouchers and not available for 30 days..i think you might be about to be scammed.

Unfortunately even knowing that this is likely to be a scam doesn't mean you can cancel your payment. Once seller has it there it stays unless you can charge it back. You can't even start a chargeback for 7 days and even then you are not guaranteed a full refund as that depends on whether the seller was offering the full £500 of protection or not.

In the first instance look carefully through the sellers history and feedback, is there anything that can help you pinpoint this as a potential scammer? If so report them to ebay and try and get their assistance to cancel the auction and allow you to start a claim back through paypal without waiting the 7 days. It is a long shot but if you can show a scam this might (OK it is unlikely) help you.

Other than that all you can do is wait the 7 days and even then you'll have to wait until paypal decide the matter which can be another 20 days.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    why the long wait? seller is getting your money free for a month!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • silverchair
    silverchair Posts: 937 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanx Soolin
    The seller has 36 feedbacks
    Its not so much that I wont be able to use the vouchers immediately, I just have a horrible feeling that I have been scammed.
    Theres about 4 feedbacks conerning vouchers. 2 of these say that full refund given when requested. But giving these refunds might be just to reel in more buyers.
    Im really annoyed at myself as its my own fault. Glad I went home early from work, so I didnt do something equally silly there!
    Im nervous that if I wait after 30 days, my request for refund from paypal might not be valid or seller long gone.
  • soolin
    Options
    why the long wait? seller is getting your money free for a month!

i can think of one very good reason why there is a 30 day wait, if this is a scam it starts to push the buyer to the 45 day limit for a paypal chargeback. A naive buyer might happily wait 30 days for their goods and then when they enquire about them the seller is long gone with their money.

Also of course the seller is pushing the rules about all goods must be available for dleivery within 30 days..
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    You haven't been silly at all.

In general, sellers are expected to post the item within 7 days. It was reasonable for you to think that you would get them within the week.

Shopping vouchers (I think) have short lives and expiry dates. People buy them because they have shopping to do - this week, not next month. The seller's terms are unreasonable, in my opinion - but unless the terms were buried in some small print, then they've covered their sit-upon.

Ask him her nicely, of course but also remember that you can cancel the payment if the seller hasn't claimed it yet. You have to be quick.

If s/he has claimed it already then you have to ask for a refund.

To cancel a payment after logging into your paypal account:
    1. Click Profile at the top of the page.
    2. Click the Pay List link in the Financial Information column.
    3. Find the merchant whose agreement you want to cancel.
    4. Click the merchant's name or email address.
    5. Click the Cancel link.
    Fingers crossed for you.
  • cheap_charlie
    Options
    Paypal rules state that items MUST be despatched within 7 days of a seller receiving payment so on these grounds alone you are within your rights to claim a refund from this seller.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

• soolin
    Options
    Paypal rules state that items MUST be despatched within 7 days of a seller receiving payment so on these grounds alone you are within your rights to claim a refund from this seller.

For seller protection the seller has to ship within 7 days, however if this is a scam then the seller will hardly be bothered by losing his protection anyway. Under ebay rules sellers must be able to deliver goods within 30 days of auction and must state that goods will be that length of time, so seller is not in breach there.

I'm not sure that reporting someone to paypal for giving up seller protection is enough to get paypal to allow a chargeback before 7 days.
    but also remember that you can cancel the payment if the seller hasn't claimed it yet. You have to be quick.

The only reasons why a payment would not be accepted is either becasue the email address is wrong or because seller has a basic account and buyer is paying by card. All other paypal payments are accepted automatically, the seller doesn't have to do anything to accept them manually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure