🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

obselete part

Options
my brothers central heating packed in and he got the engineer out to it. the guy said he could,nt fix the system because the part needed was obselete(1981)and no longer available.
He strongly advised my brother to get a compete new system and said it would cost about £2,400.
my brother is in full time work and buying his home and was recently awarded custody of his 5 year old son who is a special needs child and there is just the two of them who live in the house.
I was wondering if they would qualify for some sort of financial help towards the cost of the new system and i would be very happy if anyone could please advise me on the situaion.
many thanks
jonno

Comments

• mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local council has a system where if you are in receipt of certain benefits or a certain amount of tax credits & low income you qualify for grants towards heating &/or home insulation, I think it depends on what funding they have :-/

This is well worth looking into, get him to ring his local council, may be worth loking for leaflets in local library or doctors surgery there the sort of places where schemes may be advertised or on his local councils website, may be worth asking CAB (Citizens advice) for a benefits check, is your brother receiving benefits or tax credits for his son? The benefits/credits often provide the path to other benefits such as these grants.

Hope that helps

mini
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know nothing about plumbing, central heating etc but I do know that there is a wealth of talent on this site.(where's my free book Martin?).
    Why not post details of the part he needs & see if anyone can help. Also, get a second & third quote.
    Nice to save.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Not that I am a suspicious person but have you got a second opinion from another Plumbing and heating firm?

It sounds like an easy £2400 for the plumber :-/

You might, possibly be eligiable for a warmfront grant (I think this might be the one Mini mentioned) See HERE (or send a PM to Pak He works for a goverment department or charity or something who can advise on grants (He has posted all about it in the first link).

What sort of part is it? If it's a certain size of pipe or washer or o'ring you might still be able to get it but through differnt means (i.e a washer for a lawn mower might be the same size). If it's a pump or something you probably won't be able to :-/
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • jonno_2
    jonno_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your advice.
    my brother recieves working tax credits and family tax credits
    My brother also contacted another source regarding his c/h system and was told that although it was possible to do some kind of repair for the time being, it just would,nt be worth it. .Looks like he has,nt a lot of choice in the matter.
    once again thanks all
    jonno
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help you on the grant side, i would syggest getting in touch with the local council.

But, i know that normally you can obly get parts for old systems for 15 years after they discontinue that boiler. I think this is a legal requirement, but after 15 years they do not have to supply parts to that machine.

By the way there was another thread on here about new boilers, as the rules change next april Have a look Here to see that thread and get some tips for your brother.

Hope that helps :)
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    If he knows the make of the boiler and model and what part it is then he can check availability at

http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html.

or

http://www.curzoncare.co.uk/

Failing that a quick search on google for the manufacturer should get him a phone number.

Certain national companies that the public trust as experts are very "sales orientated". I know lots of people that have paid £15 a month for cover for years,then when needing their heating fixed ,either told its obsolete or needs a "power flush" at £500 +.
    In many cases neither is true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family