We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Helping daughter learn

Options
Hi, Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions really. My dd is only 4 (will be 5 in August)and started school last September. She loves going and has done from day one, she has always been quite shy but got on at pre-school ok. I have never worried about her development so far but after going to her parents evening am a bit worried now. Her teacher said she is a lovely child and is very happy at school but is struggling with the learning side of it ie reading/writing. I have found out by talking to her that she is in the lowest ability group(she obviosuly isn't aware of this). She's never been one to sit and listen to stories and hasn't been that interested in learning letters although I am trying to encourage her as much as possible. She can write her name, and her sisters(I didn't teach her this) but gets a few letters mixed up and I've noticed she write's some letters back to front. She draws really well, recognisable pictures of people/animals etc. I suppose I'm trying to figure out if part if it is because she is almost a whole year younger than some of the other children in her class or should I be worried? I didn't think to mention the age bit whilst I was at parents evening cos you only get 5 mins.

If anyone can give me any ideas of games/things to do with her I would be grateful. We have some flashcards and games and I have just ordered some simple reading books. She does bring reading books back from school but isn't that bothered about reading them.
DFW no.630!

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi - they often do write letters wrong way round b and d being common. my daughter struggles with e, which her teacher says is an unusual one to struggle with. Both mine are March born so bang in middle of school year, but my eldest left reception unable to read his key words and caught up in yr 1 when formal learning starts.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Hi - they often do write letters wrong way round b and d
    my dad told me to remember the word bed when i was little helped a lot because when you write it it looks like a little bed, always got it right after that
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    I would try not to worry - the teacher was probably trying to give you an outline of how she is doing. I think being one of the very younger ones may be a factor. As for the ability groups - someone has to be in the lower ability groups. The groups are unlikely to remain static - they move around according to the topics they are doing. Kids progress at different rates - my son is in year 2 and kids who were making slower progress in reception have come on in year 1 and year 2. In reception - I think it is important to settle in, make friends and have fun.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have books in your home and does she see you and your husband reading for pleasure? Children love to imitate their parents at that age and having lots of interesting books lying around can make a big difference. What about nursery rhymes and singing together? That can also help children to understand sounds and the way that words sound alike. I would've thought that these would be more likely to excite her rather than flash cards.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Age has lots to do with it. She'll get there and I'm sure that the school have lots of help that they can offer her......perhaps make an appointment with her teacher to find out what topics they are going to be doing with her class over the next term and ask for ideas on how you can help at home.

Reading books other than her school books with her is a great idea. You read the book and get her to fill in any words that she knows. Consistency is key. You need to be doing this every day. Practicing her key words regularly is also good. It will just click at some stage.

Getting her to learn how to write her letters properly and also how to write her key words correctly is also something that you can do together......again it doesn't have to be an essay......a few words every night for a week and then another selection the following week. The main thing is to keep it fun.....otherwise she'll lose interest fast.

Maths games are also great. Even something as simple as snakes and ladders is great for counting - use two dice to add the numbers together. Things like getting her to write shopping lists is fun (or even playing shops at home where she writes the shopping list and you play with real money).

Remember also, she's only four bless her! My son couldn't read a word until he was almost 5 - he's now 6 1/2 and in year one and is reading 100 page novels each night! They all get there in their own time.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • scrimpingbadger
    Options
    The youngest in the year often struggles at first. There could be a year between the oldest and youngest so please don't panic. I have year 4s who, now and again, get their letters round the wrong way (especially when free writing). If you're worried get her practicing but in a subtle way - children have a way of picking up on anxiety and confidence is a big part of learning.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds perfectly normal to me, she is very young & at this age the ability gap will be much greater than in, say 18 or 24 months time.
    One thing that helped generate my interest in books was watching films/tv programmes then looking at the accompanying story boks, becuase I was already familar with the story I found it much easier to pick up the books & read the words.
    Oh, and I wrote some letters backwards until I was 7! I could read fine, just struggled a bit with writing & letters/fonts/punctuation which made me reluctant to do it becuase I knew I was getting it wrong!

Finally, shes far too young to be judged yet, but remember not all kids are academic & have an artistc bent instead: encourage the drawing etc as much as possible, maybe getting her to write names/very short simple 1 sentance descriptions to accompany her creations?

Good luck;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Daisydoll
    Daisydoll Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I know I shouldn't be worrying I suppose I'm just worrying I'm not doing enough to help her. There are loads of great ideas there thanks, a lot of the we do/have always done but I think the main thing is trying to get her excited about reading and have fun. As the for the letters round the wrong way it is generally when she is free writing at home. To be honest when thinking about it she has always done things in her own time and she loves drawing so I will keep encouraging thant

thanks again eveyone!
    DFW no.630!
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    reehsetin wrote: »
    my dad told me to remember the word bed when i was little helped a lot because when you write it it looks like a little bed, always got it right after that

My DD (6) always gets b & d mixed up - I will try this way with her - thanks :T
  • going2die_rich
    Options
    If you own a computer have you looked at PC Games for children? There are hundreds of learning games for children you can buy (some are quite expensive though), or plenty of good free ones online on sites like CBBC.

Games on PC have the novelty effect and with bright colours and sounds are better to persuade your child to be using it to learn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport