Credit Card Query

Options
Back in 2004 I used my First Direct Visa card to purchase some furniture. I called the bank to inform them that I would be using the card porior to making the transaction as I had in place a max limit of £500 for any single transaction. Transaction went through fine. Called First Direct to instruct them to pay the balance in full from my savings account when it became due. Thought this was the end of things. have since discovered that infact only the minimum payment has been made each month for 4 years - know what you are all shouting, but the card is rarely used, never used since this transaction in 2004, but due to several house moves etc etc I have failed to check the statements for this card.
First Direct unfortunalely hold call records for 2-3 years I am unable to prove that I called them & provided full payment instructions, just as they cant prove I didnt. So loads of interest later, balance now paid off in full do I stand any chance of getting any interest back from them?
It has been suggested to me that the fact I clear any outstanding balance immediately each and every time I have used the card (6 times in 12+ years) has in fact set a presedent??
Any advice other than to check the statement would be greatfully recieved.

Comments

• King_Weasel
    King_Weasel Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt you are entitled to anything, having effectively missed so many opportunities to spot their mistake. But I have found FD to be flexible and a couple of times over the years have refunded charges when I have made mistakes. (Mind you, I didn't wait 4 years.)

So it's worth trying for a partial refund, maybe, especially if you've run your bank account well over the years. (I assume you're still with them.)
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume you haven't checked your savings account for 4 years either otherwise you'd have noticed the £500 hadn't been debited. You need to keep on top of your finances. I doubt you'll be able to claim anything back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure