We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paying Credit Card bills at other banks

I am a new to this forum, and I firstly apologise if this posting is in the wrong section (and hope admin will shift it if it is).

My problem occurs as I have several 'sub-prime' type credit cards with Capital One and Vanquish, I do not have my own bank account as I use a collection of building society treasurer's accounts for what I do. Now, to pay my cards I must go to banks where I am charged a staggering £5.00 each time I make a payment for the benefit of using their bank. I add, that I'm charged this at HSBC albeit the statement states that the funds are cleared into an HSBC account.

For the last year or so I've asked each cashier (at the various banks I've had to use) to mark the statement that I have been charged the £5.00 fee as I believe it is unjustified when they do less than, I estimate, 0.60p's worth of work in shipping my payment to its destination.

1) Am I correct in my disgust?
2) Can I legally claim any of this money back?

I hope someone can offer advice...

Thank you

Stephen

Comments

  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    why don't you open a BASIC bank account with a bank... they won't give you a cheque book or overdraft but you can set up DDs and standing orders and if you opt for internet banking you can pay online.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    priory of blackberry. Take Claptons advice it's your only option to avoid the charge. You shouldn't have a problem opening a basic bank account. More info about basic bank accounts can be found here http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/banking/bestbuys/banking_basic_bank_accounts.aspx
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    oops thanks agsnu. tiny url doesn't seem to work on this forum.
  • Thank you all, I am obviously aware that I need a current account, however, the treasurer's account are because my connections are with non-profit making groups and I was informed that banks aren't that helpful with these type of groups.

    But, in the light of your advice, I think I may as well attempt to gain a basic account and see how that goes.

    Thank you again for your advice.

    Stephen
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Can't you pay the bills at the Post Office?
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Credit card statements cannot be paid at Post Offices as they don't come with a giro slip
  • Well, they do actually, my Vanquish one can be paid at the Post Office, and that is charged at £2.30 (approx). That is a bit nearer to what I estimate their real costs are. My point is that I feel £5.00 for an inter-bank transfer is a liberty and should be stopped. It is not a fair price for the work done (imo).

    Stephen
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.