what to do with remaining student loan??

Options
Luckily, due to good money management & cutting down spending, I have a decent sum of money left over from 07/08 student loan.

Any good savings tips??

Comments

• Blacksheep1979
    Options
    don't spend it on rubbish?
  • St8_2
    St8_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Luckily, due to good money management & cutting down spending, I have a decent sum of money left over from 07/08 student loan.

Any good savings tips??

Put it in the best savings account you can, see the savings account article on this site for the best interest rates. What year are you in? If you have a couple of years left and can save some every year you may have a good sum at the end when you leave uni which will come in handy.

A tip - presuming you don't earn enough money to pay tax as you are a student, finding the best savings account is better than an ISA. ISAs are great for tax payers as with them you don't pay tax on your interest. But seeing as most students aren't tax payers theres no advantage to ISAs, so go for the higher interest. This tends to be savings accounts rather than ISAs.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I'm in my first yr. Hopefully, if I pass the exams, I'll go into second year when Uni starts again in October.
  • mshappy
    mshappy Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    Stick it in an Isa.Thats what my oh has done for the last few years.He finishes in June and with the remainder i think his planning to buy a car.
    2012 wins! can of deodorant, a personalised Bean, craft show tickets, Top Gear Live Tickets, Case of sourz fusion
  • St8_2
    Options
    If your not paying tax, stick to what ever pays the higher interest (savings accounts) as theres no advantage to ISAs unless you pay tax.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    St8 wrote: »
    If your not paying tax, stick to what ever pays the higher interest (savings accounts) as theres no advantage to ISAs unless you pay tax.

Depends how long you're planning on keeping it in there actually... If you are going to pay tax in the next year and you want the savings for longer then clearly an ISA is worthwhile ;)
  • St8_2
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Depends how long you're planning on keeping it in there actually... If you are going to pay tax in the next year and you want the savings for longer then clearly an ISA is worthwhile ;)

Not really, put it in the ISA when you start paying tax. A years along time. The op is in the frist year anyhow so my advice still works out best. :tongue:
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    St8 wrote: »
    Not really, put it in the ISA when you start paying tax. A years along time. The op is in the frist year anyhow so my advice still works out best. :tongue:
    Wrong! If you put it into ISA now and when paying tax you will have more savings sheltered from tax, Assuming long term saving.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • St8_2
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Wrong! If you put it into ISA now and when paying tax you will have more savings sheltered from tax, Assuming long term saving.

Ah yes, as you can save X amount per year.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm in my first yr. Hopefully, if I pass the exams, I'll go into second year when Uni starts again in October.
    off topic i know, but does this mean things are better on your course now? hope so!
    :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport