We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

credit card with low credit limit for online spending

Options
I've had to cancel my cards twice in a year. I am extremely careful online but someone has got access to my details.
Given that we have to buy online (incl from small retailers who apparently present the greatest risk) it's been suggested that I get a credit card with a low credit limit (eg £500) just for online purchases.
Trouble is - I doubt any cc co is interested in such a card.

I've thought about the PAYG mastercard advertised in the PO but not sure how good their CS is if someone does hack my details? My normal cc co were very efficient in cancelling my card and reissuing another one.

However I know why these *&^(^&*&*s get away with it as the cc co, the police and the retailer involved refuse to take it any further, saying that there are so many millions of £s per year involved that they can't investigate.

Can anyone suggest a suitable card though?

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    You can apply for any card and if the credit limit is too high ask them to reduce it to a level you want.
  • Mandark
    Mandark Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, that's what I understood. Lots of people have cards with their limit set at thousands but never use them, so low limits aren't that important to credit card companies.
    Prof planning and public rights of way person. Studies all things tech!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure