We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where did my 0% go?

Options
As above, I guess its the credit card company's perogative to revoke their 0% offer, but sadly I was late with a payment on my Halifax 1 card (I was on holiday at the time).

So not only did they whip away my 0% on balance transfers and purchases but also charged me £12 for the privilege.

On reading their terms & conditions it say that they 'may' remove this offer if payments are not made on time. I was late with the payment, however I did pay 2 x the minimum payment as soon as I returned.

Subsequently they are now hammering me for interest of £60 per month, it seems a little gung-ho if you ask me, for one late payment.

I am going to pay the card off so they cant grasp any more off me.... I know it's my own fault, but is there any way that I can get any of the interest back that I have paid?

cheers

Pilch

Comments

• NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately as you have noticed they are within their rights to do this as its in the Terms and Conditions.

However, there have been reports of people speaking nicely to the Credit Card companies and as a gesture of good will they have had their promotional rate re-instated. Some have even had the £12 charge refunded.
  • pilch_2
    Options
    Yep that's pretty much what I thought.... I did try the 'nicey nicey' approach but all I got was the 'once the decision has been made there is no going back' speech - ever!!!
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it's a bit closing the gate after the horse has bolted but why not set up a DD?
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Final resort would be to tell them you are going to cancel the card - but you will need to be in a position to pay the card off in full, perhaps by Balance Transferring to another 0% card.

I know that if you Balance Transfer to another 0% card it kind of defeats the object, but should they re-instate the 0% on purchases, then you could go on using it as purchases card.
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    I missed the first payment on a HSBC 0% purchase card, called them up and they refunded the £12 fee and assured me the 0% deal would continue.. I suspect this was mainly as a direct debit should have been set up by the member of staff who put through my application in branch and it was never set up.. I had a variety of other problems with this fool (sorted now by letters to manager).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport