We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with nursery notice please

Options
Hi all

I decided to take my dd out of nursery a couple of sessions a week so she could experience pre school. I gave them notice on the 31st March and heard back two weeks later that they needed a full terms notice due to my child being on a term time only contract. We spoke to their Head Office who agreed that being as we gave notice in the previous term they would allow it.

Now my problem is she loves pre school to bits and really wants to stop going to nursery. I assumed this wouldn't be possible due to having to give a terms notice. I spoke to my neighbour about it, who had a similar arrangement with the same nursery (but her dd went two mornings a week) and she has told me they accepted a month notice from her and never mentioned anything about a terms notice at all :mad:

So I'm wondering what to do? Should I call and insist on taking her out after a months notice? I know she'd finish nursery in July same as pre school, but she is so much happier there.

Any advice please with how to approach this would be welcomed

MM

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,222 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do whats right for your child, if she is happy at pre school then go for it. Now you know that your neighbour has done the same, just be firm with them.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    Did you sign a contract when you put your daughter in there? sometimes it is part of the contract but you must always do what your feel is right for your child.

i worked in a nursery, my son also started at the same nursery, when I left there he started to get unhappy and there was an issue with one of the staff hitting a child, my son had told me about this and I questioned it with the nursery but was assured nothing had happened, my son started bed wetting that night and was having nightmares, I pulled him out immediately without any notice, they sent me a letter asking for nursery fees of nearly £200 but I refused to pay them and never heard anything back since .....

Only you know your daughter, and ifshe is happy then do what is right for her.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    I would tell them that you gave them a months notice on 31 March and that you feel it is the best thing for your child. I would want my kids somewhere where they are put first and not money.

Ask them what part of the contract states that you have to give a terms notice.
  • cobbingstones
    cobbingstones Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

It does state on the contract that a terms notice is to be given. That's why I'm peed off that my neighbour didn't need to give it.

Will call on monday.

MM
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just check, before you go in saying "But she didn't ..." that your neighbour is also on a term-time contract. If her child is going in school holidays as well, the contract may be different for her.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    might it be to do with pre-school funding? as this is given termly and is difficult to sort out if there's a break.
    Give blood - its free
  • Mutantk
    Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mean to sound argumentative but in contrast to FSDSS believing the funding is done termly - at our playgroup it's done half termly as we have to sign the form for it after each half term break....perhaps different depending on area...sorry fsdss, not trying to contradict you or anything xx
    If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our funding is done termly.
    That's Numberwang!
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    The other thing may be that you have to give a terms notice but if another child can be found to take that place the nursery are willing to 'let you off' the rest, which may have happened in the other case
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to throw another possible complication into the pot, how long's a term? We're on a six term year round here, of course we all TALK about 'half-term' but officially we have six terms and six holidays.

In which case, a term doesn't last that much longer than a month anyway ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family