We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How many credit card do you have?

2

Comments

  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    more than five (>5)
    I've had 12 at one point - down to 8 now.
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    more than five (>5)
    Nationwide for use abroad
    Goldfish for £41 Quidco cash.. to be cancelled once its paid
    HSBC 0% purchases - maxed with equivalent amount stashed away
    Halifax One 0% purchases - going the same way as HSBC(!)
    Egg Money - 1% cashback and other uses...
    Barclaycard Gold - to be cancelled when I get round to it.. unless they have anything tempting on offer ;)

    So.. 6 at the moment.. but applied for 4 of them in the last 2 months so a little while before it changes! V sceptical about CCs before I got my first as a student.. but discovered their benefits, and being restrained enough not to spend more than I have and ridiculously organised its all going ok..
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    four (4)
    NickX wrote: »
    I've had 12 at one point - down to 8 now.

    :eek:

    Not as many as some I'm guessing but still a lot!
  • four (4)
    i have 4 cards now and thinking of getting a 5th for stoozing. so how many card d u think will not damage my credit rating? 18 k in total on all the cards added 2gether. d u think this is ok as i will soon apply for mortgage
  • one (1)
    I have one, an HSBC MasterCard. Used to have three.
  • rodman
    rodman Posts: 168
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    None/.........
  • four (4)
    kintgun wrote: »
    i have 4 cards now and thinking of getting a 5th for stoozing. so how many card d u think will not damage my credit rating? 18 k in total on all the cards added 2gether. d u think this is ok as i will soon apply for mortgage


    What d u guys think? should i closed some of my credit cards before applying for mortages so that my credit score will not be affected.
  • Jada
    Jada Posts: 43 Forumite
    more than five (>5)
    It's quite scary really. I'm only in my early 20's yet combining the limits of my credit cards, overdrafts and two store cards I could very easily get access to £48,000.

    I did this same exercise when I was 21 and I think the figure was nearer £60,000 (I've closed a few accounts myself recently in order to be seen as a new customer and get new promotional deals, hence the drop in credit).

    Thank God I am financially savvy (as you can see from my signiture, I'm a bit of a stoozer). The magnitude of my facility - at my age especially - is astounding.
    £3,500 @ 0% with Bank of Scotland - pay off before 05/02/10
    :staradmin£700 @ 3.9% with M&S - pay off whenever as the rate's for life :staradmin
  • martin84
    martin84 Posts: 44 Forumite
    none, and thank god I dont :D
    Thanks for saying thanks :beer:
  • Boonie
    Boonie Posts: 6 Forumite
    three (3)
    Three:

    Egg for me - 1% cashback on purchases
    Morgan Stanley for household - 1% back on purchases
    Asda for the 2p per litre of fuel

    All paid off in full every month.


    All very different from 15 years ago!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.