Direct Line - young driver seeks help

Options
Hello

I'm 21 and I have been driving for 3 years without no claims or convictions however my previous car insurance has been as a named driver on my parents insurance.

I would like to get my own fully comprehensive cover so I have followed Martin's advice and found that direct line is giving me the best offer which is 890 pounds.

I am just wondering if anyone would be able to give some advice as to how I may be able to lower that offer a little more with said company are there any (legal) tricks or ways I can bring it further down?

Also could people please tell me how they found dealing with this insurer?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AJ1982
    AJ1982 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    You could also try aggregator sites, confused to name one. Also in my days of being 20/21, I wasnt driving as much, so was a named driver, with no accidents/convictions in your shoes, and my parents insurer offered me 1yrs no claims as an intro offer, which we took. Also look at Bell Direct, who gave me a similar offer. Unfortunately without no claims, and being at such an age you are going to have problems, happens to the best of us. You may also look into taking the Pass Plus (if it still exists) or defensive driving course, also a less powerful car also helps. (Although a less powerful car is no fun). Its expensive now, but the eventual rewards (Im now 26, 5 yrs no claims, no acc) im getting mine for around 350 per year.
  • Steve1981
    Steve1981 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    AJ1982 wrote: »
    You may also look into taking the Pass Plus (if it still exists)

it does still exist, however, there are some important criteria, it is only valid for use up to 2 years from when you pass your test, (its only valid into a seond year if you have been driving on another persons policy during the first year and not held insurance in your own name)

not many insurers accept it to begin with

often the internet discount is equal to or greater then the pass plus discount and only some insurers allow both the internet and pass plus to be combined
  • zkw29
    zkw29 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    I found it to be worth doing - it often saves you more than the cost of sitting it (and theres no test to sit :T). Direct Line will give you a pass plus discount on top of your online price. Save the quote, give them a call and they'll tell you the price.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Add your parents to your policy as named drivers. Provided they have a good claims record it should bring your premium down. Perfectly legal as presumably you would like them to be able to drive your car occasionally.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure