We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

28 weeks pregnant- been offered a job! HELP!!!

Options
I had a job interview a month ago. I only heard back today and they said was I still interested in working for them? Now...this obviously doesn't constitute a concrete job offer BUT could lead to one. I am so obviously pregnant now it's impossible to miss it. What do I do? If I wasn't pg i'd go for it and prob. get it but i'm worried about telling them that they'll tell me to forget it. What shall I do? Shall I e-mail and say i'm still interested and by the way i'm 28 weeks pregnant? Help! I really want this job!Jx
2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310

Comments

• cally1978
    cally1978 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, haven't got any advice, but good luck x
  • Kylie
    Kylie Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    I believe you don't need to tell them and they cannot decide against you because you are pregnant.
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go for it. They obviously wanted you otherwise they wouldn't have got back in touch, so you have earnt this opportunity on your merits; it makes no difference to your merits whether you are pregnant or not.

Obviously, if you need to go in and see them, then you will need to mention it (as they will notice!) And it might be worth checking out ref maternity leave; I did read somewhere that you need to inform your employer of your intention to start maternity leave by the 15th week before your expected week of confinement (which is week 25, isn't it?)
    That's Numberwang!
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know. But i feel I have to. This is what I replied:I am still interested in working for ******* and I really enjoyed looking around the nursery.I am now 28 weeks pregnant. I am happy to work right up until the end of June, as I am due the 16th July. I am planning to return to work full-time after the baby is born and i've taken my maternity leave. I realise this isn't an ideal time to start a job, but I hope you will see the benefit of having a person well qualified on staff who is able to lead a room. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to offer me a position. Could you also clarify an hourly wage and specifics of the job, i.e which age group would I be working with etc. I am currently working at the hotel part time as we previously discussed so I am free during the week to work full time hours.Thanks,What do you think? I reckon I won't see them for dust....
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You won't be entitled to SMP if you change jobs:

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/if_i_go_for_a_job_interview
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jak
    Options
    I'm not entitled to SMP anyway. Getting MA.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The potential employer is now in a tricky situation. If they suddenly decide not to employ you they will know they have left themselves open to being sue for discrimination. They might take legal advice before deciding how to proceed if your imminent maternity leave makes your appointment to the post tricky.

If they don't want you now I would suspect they will contact you again and invite you for a second interview along with a few other candidates to make it look like they are being fair if legal action should be instigated in future. One of the other candidates would then get the job.

Hopefully though, being a nursery, they will want you regardless of your pregnancy.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • jak
    Options
    I hope so. I'm over qualified for the position which they were keen on and from my point of view it means reduced childcare bills when I go back to work. I really hope they offer it to me....ThanksX
  • Slapps
    Slapps Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    got my fingers crossed for ya jak and let us know how it goes
    1st son born 11/02/05 2nd son born 09/01/08
    thats all i'm adding to the human race so think yourselfs lucky lol
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I wish you the best of luck! I changed jobs when I was around 12 weeks gone and told my employer at 16 weeks.Because the job was well sought after,I had some 'comments' from the department I left,but I'm due to finish work next friday and have been present far more than a few people who are not pregnant.I hope they have the good sense to give you the position:j
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family