PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Trying really hard to OS but the prices keep going up

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read somewhere that sales of vegetable seeds had gone up 600% this year. OS or the start of a fight back against food prices? I've bought tomato seeds and seed potatoes but am pretty new to this.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Unix, I'm trying tomato's too though not looking good so far. Also herbs and sweet peppers. I wanted to do potato's but thought it might be too much this year. Wish I'd done it now! :rolleyes:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But we can't all do 'extra jobs' I, for example, am my sons carer.. I couldn't afford childcare.. Id have to be earning around £20 an hour to make it worth our while (I worked it out recently!!) and that isn't going to happen!!

When we run out of ebay stuff.. I'll find something.. I am quite resourceeful and the children will be outgrowing their stuff for a few years yet!! lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I frequent a lot of US sites which advocate food storage and self sufficiency and I've been following the news in the States for quite a while now concerning the current 'food crisis'...
    I fortunately have been able to keep one step ahead of many of the price rises in staples this way and have a reasonable size store of many of the things we use on a regular basis.
    What is annoying me at present though is Tesco's............:mad:
    They are discontinuing an awful lot of their cheaper staples we have bought for years...then relaunching them a few weeks later in a smaller size but at a heftier price :mad:
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    I read somewhere that sales of vegetable seeds had gone up 600% this year. OS or the start of a fight back against food prices? I've bought tomato seeds and seed potatoes but am pretty new to this.

Ive got these too - plenty of seeds to plant out - ive only got a small communal garden to do it in though so will be using pots where i can and a patch of mud at the bottom which gets a fiar bit fo sun in the mornings and stays nice most of the day. So far im hopign to try and grow brocolli, swede, onions and carrots. potatoes are not going to work as i have nothing really to put them in and am kind of worried about poisoning myself and if i can convince bf to put up hanign baskets then i think ill try those tumbling tom tomatoes for me pasta sauce - might help the budget a fair bit i think.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    I fortunately have been able to keep one step ahead of many of the price rises in staples this way and have a reasonable size store of many of the things we use on a regular basis.

I think i will be doign this - liek i said i have quite a few things i can freecycle and get rid of - seem to have lots of coats recently but anyway they have cleared a nice area under my bed so i think ill get soem under storage boxes and fill them with a few staples. not quite sure what though - any ideas?

Also i am gettign paid back some money by boyfriend so am goign to try adn save some towards bens birthday and stock up with the rest - my toilet roll stash seems to be ok at the minute:D .
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • D&DD
    Options
    Ive got these too - plenty of seeds to plant out - ive only got a small communal garden to do it in though so will be using pots where i can and a patch of mud at the bottom which gets a fiar bit fo sun in the mornings and stays nice most of the day. So far im hopign to try and grow brocolli, swede, onions and carrots. potatoes are not going to work as i have nothing really to put them in and am kind of worried about poisoning myself and if i can convince bf to put up hanign baskets then i think ill try those tumbling tom tomatoes for me pasta sauce - might help the budget a fair bit i think.

Sammy when you empty your soil out of the sack turn it inside out and use this to grow the potatoes in :D
    The black inner lining (which will then be on the outside) will keep the light out and stop them from turning green.
    Try with 2 or 3 sprouted spuds from your veg rack this year and see how they come out then it won't have cost you anything ;)
  • D&DD
    Options
    I think i will be doign this - liek i said i have quite a few things i can freecycle and get rid of - seem to have lots of coats recently but anyway they have cleared a nice area under my bed so i think ill get soem under storage boxes and fill them with a few staples. not quite sure what though - any ideas?

Also i am gettign paid back some money by boyfriend so am goign to try adn save some towards bens birthday and stock up with the rest - my toilet roll stash seems to be ok at the minute:D .

Not sure if its just my Tesco's area but they had 500g bags of pasta quills knocked down to 19p this week..I don't usually buy this shape but can never resist a bargain :rotfl: so I bought 6 bags!!!
    We all love rice pud and with the current hooha with rice shortages I can't get the value rice pud at my store so I tried out pudding rice in the slowcooker and its come out lovely so I stocked up on this too.
    I bought some haricot beans (dried) to make my own baked beans as the boys like the beans but not the sauce.
    I also bought *a few* extra bags of flours as every store I've been to recently seems to be a bit thin on flour stocks..
    Cooking oils are becoming another thing on the 'watch list' apparently as there are shortages of corn also...I use polenta (cornmeal) quite a bit too so I also stocked up on this...
    :cool: Not paranoid really :cool: ;):D
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Argh! Just nipped into Mr T's to buy some oil whilst collecting dd2 - and a bottle of wine, purely for my own enjoyment, lol - and it was over a £1, I'm sure the last time a bought it it was 68p - no idea why I can remember that price. It's just normal sunflower oil, nothing special, not organic or anything even. I just can't believe it, flipping bio fuels I guess, or that's the reason we'll be given, nothing to do with Mr T trying to take more money off me than he pays me!

DD&D - can I just ask what you use your cornmeal for, I use it for pizza and polenta, but was wondering what else I could do with it as I looked at the four bags in the cupboard this morn!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • D&DD
    Options
    mummysaver wrote: »
    Argh! Just nipped into Mr T's to buy some oil whilst collecting dd2 - and a bottle of wine, purely for my own enjoyment, lol - and it was over a £1, I'm sure the last time a bought it it was 68p - no idea why I can remember that price. It's just normal sunflower oil, nothing special, not organic or anything even. I just can't believe it, flipping bio fuels I guess, or that's the reason we'll be given, nothing to do with Mr T trying to take more money off me than he pays me!

DD&D - can I just ask what you use your cornmeal for, I use it for pizza and polenta, but was wondering what else I could do with it as I looked at the four bags in the cupboard this morn!

This is one of our favourites,I also do a chilli cornbread *sure I posted the recipe in my shop from home thread*

[FONT=verdana, arial]Cornmeal and Bacon Pancakes[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial]1/3 c Yellow cornmeal
    1 c plain flour
    1 tsp Salt
    2 tsp Baking powder
    1 Egg
    1 1/4 c Milk
    2 Strips bacon; cooked and crumbled
    Mix cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Add milk. Stir this mixture slowly into the dry ingredients, mixing well. The batter should be fairly thin; add more milk if necessary. Mix in crumbled bacon. Cook pancakes over a medium heat as for normal ones.
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport