Advice on Chasing an Insured Driver!

Options
Help!

I was involved in an accident with a transit van owned by Enterprise PLC in August last year. The driver didn't want to stop, and it was only after I chased him down the road that he gave me details.
I reported the accident to my insurers who arranged for repairs (and my excess!) The claim was passed to a firm of solicitors to chase liability etc. Nothing has happened, the third party insurers have admitted that the vehicle is covered by them but can't go further until a claim form is submitted by their driver. My solicitor keeps sending meaningless messages saying she is still waiting. I have tried to contact Enterprises's transport manager on countless occasions with no reply. I even emailed their corporate responsibility address to try and get movement, but I'm basically ignored.
I feel that this company can get away with murder by just ignoring me, but what else can I do?
I'm tempted to issue a small claims for the excess, but that still leaves the claim unresolved, which will affect my premiums. The ABI appear to be a old boys network for insurers, and told me that they don't deal with the public!

Any ideas?

Comments

• havekidsamskint
    Options
    Hi,

I've been out of the insurance industry for a few years now, but I would contact your insurer and find out if they have recovered any of their money yet. Your solicitor is probably only acting for your uninsured losses,ie your excess, if they have had success, there is no reason why your solicitor can't. Remember though, these claims can take ages to sort out.

Good luck

Gilly
  • wooders
    wooders Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having the same (similar circumstances) issue with again a company vehicle. The damage only cost £326 to repair but they are dragging heals like its going out of fashion and I've had to accept paying an extra £20 at the renewal as rather that being shown as claim settled it is still outstanding. As well as £300 excess to be returned!!!! robbery
    One day I'll be rich me tells ya.....rich.....hahaha:D
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know it's little comfort but if it is settled eventually you should be able to claim back your extra premium.
    Keep records to show the extra e.g. 2 quotes if you can.

FWIW - my FIL has 3 years extra to claim back.
    We are waiting for a personal injury claim to be resolved and we are 2 years and 9 months in (there is a 3 year time limit on injuries).
  • Pat22090
    Options
    Finally got a reply from my side yesterday, Enterprise were given 7 days from the 16th April to complete a form or their insurers would accept liability on their behalf. That expired yesterday...I'll update if anything moves!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure