I wanna find nappies for premature babies with the least leakage

Options
My daughter has got twin boys who only weigh 4.85 lb and 4.91 lb.

At the moment she is using Pampers nappies size Micro for 2 - 5lb

Huggies Preemies nappies for babys up to 6 lb

They both leak at least twice a day on each baby, causing a lot of extra washing.

I would appreciate it if anyone has used nappies for premature baby boys or if you are using any at the moment that you can suggest we try please.

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I havnt used them myself but i know tescos do there own make prem baby nappies,about £2.50.Maybe someone will be along to let you know if there any good :)

congratualtions on the twins by the way :)
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    The tescos nappies are normally as good as the leading brand, so worth giving them a try. Although I would say that pampers for prem babies are probably the safest bet!
    Have a look on ebay and search for pampers, there are people selling premature nappies which obviously their children have outgrown.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Mum-2-4
    Mum-2-4 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Having had 4 children, at one stage I had 3 of them in nappies, through trial & error I found Asda own brand nappies to be the best. Not sure if they do prem size, as my youngest is now 7 & havent had to look at nappies for a while.
    If I had the foresight I would have used washable nappies, as I would have got my moneysworth.
    Hope Mum & babies are doing well.
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best piece of advice I ever got was to use the nappy size where the baby is in between - as in the Pampers you are using would be too small - although it doesn't look like you have much choice there - next size up seems to be the up to 11lbs or something.
    It is twice as hard with twins, but nappies leak. I'm sorry, people have found their answers through trial and error, but my son had to grow out of making a mess. Now we have no accidents at all, but for three months not a day went by when we didn't have some.. erm soiling. Avoid any 'pointing the wrong way' incidents!
    I'd go to the supermarkets and get their own brands, as you are already trying the expensive brands - the packs should only be a few pounds each and you can see if any of them suit you. Failing that, buy more clothes and wash less often :o - that was my answer:rolleyes:.
    :wall:
  • squashy
    squashy Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats on your little grandchildren!

Not sure if it will save on washing but it may help disrupt babies less: how about a folded flannel or muslin inside the nappy as it will absorb on contact, as opposed to disposables which in my experience have a bit of a shiny surface on the inside causing a little "run-off". I have used full on washable nappy systems with mine since newborn and never had leaks as the outer wraps have poppered legs and waists so you can adjust, although never had a preemie!

Ikea do packs of 10 flannels for about £2, primark do really fluffy ones at £1.50 per 4 pack.
  • rsdiscos
    rsdiscos Posts: 816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When my son was born 6 years ago it was really difficult to find small nappies he weighed just over 4lbs when he came out of hospital. We found Boots brand nappies prem size very good and fitted well which is important especially with boys!!
    Melissa
    Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
    Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
    PAD Totals
    Jan 2024 -
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    Would your daughter consider using washable nappies? I have to admit I use washables but have a *stock* of disposables mainly for use on a night or if I am out for the day. I have saved loads of money in the 4 months I have been using them!
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • moneysaves_2
    Options
    at the moment i don't think she'll use washable nappies. maybe when they're a bit older & dropping 1 or 2 feeds. She's very tired at the moment just keeping up with 12 feeds a day & her partner goes back to work next week, also she lives in a flat without a garden to hang washing out.
    Thank you for the advice so far i'll let her know so she can try the different brands.
    I remember when my children born, the eldest 27 years ago they did disposable nappies for boys or girls not unisex
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    I found Boots tiny baby very good (however mine were slightly bigger)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure