NHS Glasses vouchers?? Question for the spectacled

Options
sara_501
sara_501 Posts: 157 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 28 November 2009 at 7:52PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi Everyone

can anyone tell me how much the NHS voucher is worth ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• mouseymousey99
    Options
    Hi Sarah, Me too re the nickel but touch wood, the specs have been fine. Ok well I got mine about 3 months ago - your voucher is worth about £30 - I shopped around - the best deal I found was Tesco (just take your prescription) you get 2 pairs for the price of one - my specs were about £70 each so - £30 = £40 for 2 pairs of really wearable specs.
    You can also go to glasses direct on the net - they are good (I got some prescription sunglasses from them) but Tesco was still cheaper for the everyday ones, as you get 2 pairs - very hand incase you are like me and sit on one pair or are forever losing them!
    I had some NHS specs before the new ones. No complaints, they only cost £16 so were free, but they wont let you have x2 pairs! Not the most stylish in the world, but hey they did the job.
    Hope this helps - I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas.
    welcome to the wonderful world of specs!
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does specsavers still do the scheme where you can get you eye test free with them and then if you buy your glasses from them they "match" the amount and you can choose from several ranges of theirs?

I don't think the info is so clear on the website but you could get a leaflet in store if the shop assistant happened to know about it!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • DenBo_4
    DenBo_4 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    I go to an independent optician (Optometrist), I get free prescriptions etc. My new glasses cost me £10 and the new lenses were covered by the voucher scheme. If my optician can supply me with nice glasses that cost £10 then I'm sure anyone can, ask around. I never go to the high st opticians, I think you get much better care with an independant optician, the bloke I see is fantastic, much much better service than Specsavers etc. I've got cataracts in both eyes and as far as I'm concerned I need the best care I can get, all for free!
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add that the voucher you receive can increase depending on the strength of your prescription. If you are one step off a white stick then you get more than if you just need them for reading for example.

When you get your presciption, ask the optical advisor how much your NHS voucher is worth as they have a note.

Hope that helps :)

also as well, you can go to whaever optician you choose. You are quite within your rights to get a test, ask for the prescription and then walk out and go to another.
  • woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I got my glasses from specsavers with the voucher. Eye test was free and could choose frames including the lenses from their £39 range. Did not have to put any money towards it.
  • Rylynn
    Rylynn Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Options
    Okay you mention you wanted two pair, what if you NEED two pair? and also need them to tint down or one pair to due to eye pupil damage from a car crash years ago? Do you get a voucher to cover both pairs? How do you apply for the voucher? and do you apply for it first?

Hope someone can answer this as I have just received my exemption certificate card due to being on Tax credits and need to find out more about how to use this for opticians and dentists.

from what I gather here, you can pay more for the specs and the voucher is taken off the total amount.

Many thanks for reading.
    Some Days are Diamonds Some Days are Stones,
    Sometimes the hard times won't leave me
    BSC 162:beer:
    Banktupt 22 Oct 2008 at 10am!
  • uktyler
    uktyler Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Try online supplies, they are cheaper than the High Street. I know selectspecs take NHS vouchers.

EDIT:

Selectspecs no longer take NHS vouchers, but wantglasses.co.uk and others do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure