Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

"Public Entertainment Licence"

The community centre 100 yards from my new house has applied for a public entertainment licence, which runs from 9am till midnight every day during the week and 9am till 1am at weekends. This, I am guessing, is not a good thing.

Anyone got any ideas why it would want one of these licences and what its implications for me might be? I don't want to be kept up by loud music every night of the week.




  • safesoundsafesound Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    We live next to a community centre and they have a public entertainment license. I think it just allows them to put on discos and bands and stuff. We've never had a problem with loud music or anything like that. Mind you, the most racy thing they do around here is bingo or weight watchers :D
    Why not call in and speak to the centre manager? He'll be able to tell you what they're planning on hosting there and whether it'll affect you.
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    All part of the new '24 hour drinking' licensing - they have to have one even if they only hold occasional events. As safesound suggested, ask them what they're planning (if anything, likely to 'business as usual'). You can object to their license - they should have A4 sheets stuck in the windows giving the address of the licensing authority.

    Sounds pretty standard - I've seen several pubs with pretty much the same times. Doesn't look like any are getting knocked back according to my local papers (unless the police have objected due to disorder or under-age drinking).
  • PlasticmanPlasticman Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes, as ManAtHome says it's probably due to the changes to licensing. There is one on our community centre too.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • I would not be worried unless there has been a change of management recently

    Even our local church hall has one
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals