Anyone with green fingers out there?

Having been prompted by how easy it looked in Jamie Oliver's prog, I planted lots of lettuces. tomatoes. coriander. basil etc. from seed and stuck the wee trays in my conservatory. They are now growing well (few inches) but a friend said I should put them outside sometimes to "harden them off" which I'm happy to do but does this mean I have to put them out during the day and bring them in every night? Seems a bit of a skitter? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• wallacebob
    wallacebob Posts: 199 Forumite
    The simple answer is yes! Especially just now with cold nights you'll kill the the wee beggars. Put out in a sheltered spot, not direct sun, every morning. Aldi/LIDL/Poundstrecher also have little plastic green houses which are ideal, but watch they don't fry in the heat of the sun. Some people do this after pricking out, so that only the ones you will be growing on are harden'd off, then they are not disturbed too much as the grow.
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/ for lots of tips.
    I miss my old garden, lots of fresh tatties, lettuce, carrots, etc. I have to do with some herb pots on the balcony in my new flat! I'm on a very long waiting list for an allotment.
    Happy gardening maggiesoup.
  • maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 766 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What a shame I couldn't offer you my garden as your allotment! lol

I love fresh salad stuff esp basil, coriander, lettuce & toms but it costs me a fortune so fingers crossed for this batch of goodies. Off now to bring the wee monkeys in as its a bit cold out tonight! Thanks again.
  • albalass
    albalass Posts: 49 Forumite
    http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=forum

this is without a doubt the best/friendliest gardening forum in the world.

post to introduce yourself, and they'll all jump on you with welcomes.

i miss my allotment.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    maggiesoup wrote: »
    Having been prompted by how easy it looked in Jamie Oliver's prog, I planted lots of lettuces. tomatoes. coriander. basil etc. from seed and stuck the wee trays in my conservatory. They are now growing well (few inches) but a friend said I should put them outside sometimes to "harden them off" which I'm happy to do but does this mean I have to put them out during the day and bring them in every night? Seems a bit of a skitter? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Pop over to the greenfingers board for advice and tips, we're a helpful bunch and there's lots of info about growing veggies in pots :)

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport