PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad credit. Need to rent REALLY BADLY. What can i do?!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Renee_
    Renee_ Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Yes i'll definately look, thank you! Must move away from this horrible area asap!
  • benwebb001
    Options
    Hi, I have just rented a property for the first time and i was really scared about the credit checks. I have missed a fair few payments and have quite a lot of debt. I passed the credit checks with out a problem, in fact they came back to me on the same day. I say just give it a go you might be surprised!

Good Luck
  • SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    Options
    Has the OP considered Squatting?

Theres a million empty homes out there that no-one is using.

If you find a place that is owned by a property investment fund chances are they barely know it exists and wont bother trying to get you out.... ever. Drive round and make a list of empty houses and check the land registry.

There are a huge number of houses owned by property investment funds as a hedge against inflation that are just numbers on an assets list... they don't know or care what/where they are.
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • QA5IS
    QA5IS Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been trying to get a mortgage for the last month and failed 4 credit checks with different lenders and it has dropped my credit score from 601 to 422. We now have to rent but I'm worried the drop in credit score might stop us getting the place we want. I have no missed payments, defualts or CCJs the low credit score is purly down to many credit checks that failed in a short space of time. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • BeckyK
    Options
    hello everyone
    My apologies for being both new and reviving an old thread, but as I found this site very useful recently, I thought I should relay my own experience regarding letting agent credit checks.

I had previously very good credit, but last year, had a few accidental defaults which catapulted me into the 'very poor' category. (I'm now trying to get it back to normal..which is great fun..)

I was frank and upfront with the letting agent about my poor credit from the start, and to my surprise, passed the credit checks. I asked her for more information and she said they are most concerned by CCJs and bankruptsy, but even if you have those, being open and honest from the start will massively help your case and it's likely your application will be accepted. (So long as your personal and landlord references are good).

All the while I continued to stress I was in full time employment and had excellent references. It's in their interests to rent the property so they'll do what they can. You've more cause to worry with a bad landlord reference than bad credit.

The reason I'm posting this is I did find a lot of scare stories and misinformation on the internet while frantically googling 'renting with bad credit'. It sent me into a panic...

Many thanks
    B
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family