🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesco Platinum Credit Cards

Options
Has anybody else had problems with their cards this afternoon? I went into a shop and bought a few things on my credit card and when I went to pay, my card was refused. Had absolutely no idea why as I haven't gone over the limit, so I paid using another card.

When I got home, I telephoned Customer Services and she did a check on my card and said that there was nothing untoward with it, then put me on hold and when she came back, she told me that they had been having technical difficulties all afternoon and that was why it was refused. Not really good enough but there is nothing else I can do. Just wondered if anybody else had problems with their Tesco Visa cards.

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine was fine at 2.00 p.m.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made a purchase at 2:10 and that was OK but when I came to make a purchase around 4 pm it wasn't.
  • roaming_rhino
    Options
    I used my around 3.15pm today in tesco and all was fine

doesnt surprise me with tesco

they seem to be professionals at !!!! ups

would list them but would run out of ink
    Help enough people get what they want and you will automatically get what you want
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just been out again today and tried to use my card (actually forgot about yesterday) and guess what ........ it was refused again.:o

When I got home I phoned them and really let them have it. Apparently, it is something to do with changing the cards over to the chip and pin. As I haven't received my card yet and am still using the old one, the computer has cancelled it. They said I should receive my new card within the next 7 days but she would give me the points I would have had and will make sure that it works by tomorrow.

Absolutely fuming.:mad:
  • smiggers
    smiggers Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco cards (and indeed all Royal Bank of Scotland associated cards including Mint , Direct Line etc) are notorious throughout the industry for their over zealous "fraud protection" safeguards. I have stopped using all cards from this source as on numerous occasions I have had transactions referred or declined for no reason and it becomes a nightmare to go on a shopping trip or use the card on the internet.

As a retailer accepting credit card payments I shudder every time someone pays using a RBS card as the system is inclined to refer or decline a far higher proportion than any other bank , resulting in unhappy customers. Ironically , Royal Bank credit card fraud losses are higher proportionally than many other issuers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport