We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Transparent containers?

Options
I am looking for containers to plant my carrots and leeks and my local Pound shop sells transparent plastic containers that would be perfect (and cheap ;) ), but I am concerned about the roots being exposed to the light. Is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't know the definitive answer, but surely they'd only be exposed at the very edge of the container, so most of the roots would be in the dark. It would be worth experimenting rather than going for it 100%. I'm presuming you mean the large boxes for storing household stuff, which come in transparent and various shades, but basically see-through?

You could also adapt a black bin liner or the inside of a compost bag to line the inside of the box.

I only grow orchids in transparent pots, but they hang around on trees in the wild, so their roots are supposed to be in the light. I'd guess that 'normal' plant roots will simply move away from light sources.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, I mean the large see-through boxes, they very deep so perfect for carrots and leeks.
    I like the idea of black liners, thank you! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family