When is a regular Saver not A Regular Saver.

When you set up a standing order to save money regularly from the 28th of each month.
Sometime you end up with no payement one month and two the next.
Hard Cheese.

Based on G Gilmore in The Times.
...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym

Replies

• Both the Halifax and Abbey stipulate that the standing order must be dated earlier than the 28th of the month to avoid this problem.
  • MilarkyMilarky Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just looking at Judi's question on another thread I'm surprised these two accounts couldn't as easily be set up to be funded by direct debit [like ING is].

If this was done they couldn't 'mess up' the regular deposits provided you kept enough in your bank a/c come the collection dates. And the added advantage would be no lost interest for the two or three days that Standing Order payments take to reach these accounts.

[Now tell me I'm 'daft', and that the best way to run these accounts is NOT for the customer's convenience.]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a scam
  • Robert_Sterling_3Robert_Sterling_3 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Forumite
    It had not occurred to me that anyone wuld not do it by direct debit.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It had not occurred to me that anyone wuld (sic) not do it by direct debit.
    DD is not an option, so I don't know how you would have imagined anyone would have done it by DD.

Apart from the 2 day money transmission delay on a SO compared to a DD, I can see why they do not allow DD as well.  If they did it by DD, it would only cause problems if the funds were not there - the customer would strop about being charged by their bank for a bounced DD, etc.  As it is, they are allowing you the flexibility to NOT make a payment if you do not have the funds - although, then, of course you will lose your premium rate of interest.
    Both the Halifax and Abbey stipulate that the standing order must be dated earlier than the 28th of the month to avoid this problem.
    Abbey actually specify 21st or earlier.  Our acceptance arrived today :)
  • cloud_dogcloud_dog Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We (in my wife's name - no tax) are waiting for confirmation, and will then set up an electronic transfer from our Abbey current account into the FRMS account.

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • icic Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    My guess is that they want people to miss the monthly payment - that way you've broken the t&c's of the account and forfeit the months (in the case of Abbey) or the whole terms (in the case of Halifax) interest, and only get a pittance rate instead. If it were direct debit, it'd be there fault if a payment didn't happen, whereas they have no responsiblilty whatsoever with the standing order...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals