We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What does our garden need for the grass?

Options
gabyjane
gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
We have moved into a new build, the garden was laid and was pretty good tbh but slightly patchy which was to be expected.
Now the nicer weather is hopefully coming we were wondering what we need for it..grass seed or food for the grass..or both?
Also at the bottom we don't get much sun, it is really patchy there, will it ever grow? we have considered decking if not as a waste of area if not..what would this bit need?
Many thanks

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get different types of grass including some that will grow in shady areas. Personally I would put something like decking it it as it will be easier to deal with and you will have less grass to cut.

If you do a search you can find threads on how to patch up grass with seed. There is also this link from the RHS. http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles0901/lawn_patchy.asp

Last year I used a mixture of turf and grass seed to cover patches in my own lawn. I used turf for the larger areas where they use to be flower beds and grass seed for the smaller areas.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Options
    How long has the lawn been laid? If it is very recent (you mention moving into your new build) then the grass will probably not have had time to get established yet.

You could give it a feed I suppose, as that might help it along now the weather is (hopefully) going to get warmer. One of the granular versions should be okay, and are easy to spread. I might avoid the combined 'feed&weed' types though, if it is very new - any other views on this?

Then I'd wait and see how it develops....

HTH

:D
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    Options
    One of the granular versions should be okay, and are easy to spread. I might avoid the combined 'feed&weed' types though, if it is very new - any other views on this?

On the back of the packets of feed & weed type stuff it says avoid using it on newly laid or sown grass for 6+ months.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, today i picked up some feed and weed stuff but put it back! good job by the sounds of it..
    Yes it is a new lawn, we have been here 7 months now but it's only been down about 8-9 so i will give it a while longer and see what happens! thanks again.
  • Jony
    Jony Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    thats fine amount of time, get treating it, just be super careful with the granualr feeds as they CAN do more damge than good! as it can burn the lawn if its not watered in (via rain or yourself) or if you can afford it get a liquid feed. or may also be worth getting some advice off one of these lawn treatemnt experts. i know a friend whos just moved into a new build and the soil (if you can call it that!) is terrible! littraly less than an inch of clay then just stones! water logs and all sorts.
  • Jony
    Jony Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    oh and has had been said, there are different types of seed, im guessing if its a new estate its quite a clayish soil? if so get some thats suitable for shade and damp or shade and dry if its not. just rake over the ares that ned seeding, mix some seed with some topsoil and sprinkle over in the areas and abit of top soil on top to help against those pesky birds! and just WATER it PLENTY! if it doesnt rain, water it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport