We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What can I use to make a cloche?

Options
~Chameleon~
~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
I've got a large enviro-net over my brassicas, which is being held down on the edges with bricks, but now I need to make some sort of frame to raise the net off the sprouting brocolli as it's suddenly shot up and doesn't have any more room to grow!

I had a quick look online for some of those hoop things but they seem to want extortionate money for them!!! :eek:

Any ideas what I can use instead, or anyone know of a very cheap source for hoops please? Thanks! :A
“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Comments

• Nutty_Tart
    Nutty_Tart Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wilkos have some bamboo poles that have been 'bent' they look like a 'n' for want of a better description. Maybe your netting could be held in the ground with the bottom of one of these or tied? I don't think they are very expensive and I believe they come in 2 or 3's. Would that help??
    C Card £5218.68 (Feb 2011)
    £2 coins (No 085) - £190
    Mort overpayments 2011 - £418.06
  • jennybridger
    jennybridger Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    i'm planning on using individual cloches from the 2 dozen plastic 2 litre drinks bottles i've saved!
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    Rejuvenate, Reinvent.......
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Plastic bendy pipe - usually pretty easy to come by and can be cut into lengths as required.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • Trishh_2
    Trishh_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That blue water pipe seems to be the thing.
    here's some info
    http://www.communigate.co.uk/here/orletongardeningclub/page6.phtml
    :beer:
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Snap - we've used blue water pipe - we've square raised beds and so they make a dome shape over the top
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've toyed with the idea of putting an ad on Freecycle to see if anyone has a ripped dome tent and doesn't want the poles anymore.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have made hoops from hazel but we are lucky to have an ample wild source of the stuff.
    I was hoping my Buddlia prunings might be of some use but it's not bendy so is being put to use as canes.
    Elder might make hoops, you know the sturdy suckers it throws up? But they might take root....
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas there to work with! :T :D

Jenny - your bottles idea would be great for smaller plants and seedlings but mine are already a foot or so tall (planted last Autumn) and getting quite bushy now. Will definitely look into the plastic pipe method though ;)

As an aside, when is the best time to pick white sprouting brocolli? - before or after it actually flowers? I assume I just cut these off and it will continue producing stems? :confused:(can't you just tell I've never grown it before :o )
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • jennybridger
    Options
    ah i see chameleon, yes mine are all still in seed trays right now.

what about wire coat hangers?
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    Rejuvenate, Reinvent.......
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could check out

http://www.storeflatcloche.co.uk/

I believe this is a very small organisation and they seem to be prepared to sell the hoops separately from the corrugated see-through plastic sheeting. If this this is the case they may be prepared to make up some custom-made hoops for you which are the height you need.

The other option would be to buy some of the inter-connecting balls with holes in which are advertised on the Lakeland website. Then you could cut some bamboo canes to the height you want, connect them up and drape your protective fleece/netting over the whole structure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure