The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt.

Comments

• One other note on those sites of a nationality that we are not supposed to mention.

I would be vary wary of giving credit card details to Russian websites of dubious legality - they used to accept PayPal which I felt safer using but haven't used since they moved to credit card.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    One other note on those sites of a nationality that we are not supposed to mention.

I would be vary wary of giving credit card details to Russian websites of dubious legality - they used to accept PayPal which I felt safer using but haven't used since they moved to credit card.

Hey you mentioned the place :rotfl:
  • Donger20
    Donger20 Posts: 30 Forumite
    MSN Music was 69p when I started using it about a month ago, but I downloaded something this week and it was now 79p! I think Tesco, MSN, mycokemusic and a whole range of other sites use the od2 (or something like that Network) which was stared by Peter Gabriel.....

Did anyone try the mycokemusic promotion while it was on. I entered about 5 or 6 codes from cans and everyone won a free music download! Wish I had done a few more - considering you didn't even have to open the cans!

However the woolworths site is great at 59p. By the looks of it it is thier own proprietary system which is really easy to use - you simply download the track and play with Media Player or the like - no need to download any other software.

For real music fans there are other systems like MusicMatch and Napster which ask for a monthly fee which allows any number of downloads. So if you are a demon downloader these scould be cheaper in the long run.....

Donger
    Dongers of the world unite!
  • One other note on those sites of a nationality that we are not supposed to mention.

It hasn't hurt anyone that I know who hae been using that site for a couple of years. But I'm sure people can make up there own minds...
  • I looked at the thread quoted earlier for debate of file sharing systems and russian legal download sites, but it says thread invalid.

I've used one of those sites that we are not supposed to mention (don't know why!) and I've not had any problems with credit card payments. I think 79p+ for a UK legal download is far too much. When you consider that you are only getting a low bit-rate quality mp3 with no packaging or distribution costs for the record company, its an awfully bad deal for the consumer. Once again the record companies are ripping people off like they have been doing with CD's for years. No wonder people file share or use the Russian websites which are reasonably priced. If they can do it legally there at a reasonable price they should be able to do it here.

Rant over.
  • jzw
    jzw Posts: 1 Newbie
    One other note on those sites of a nationality that we are not supposed to mention.

On the payment page you can opt to pay via XROST. Starngely, you pay for XROST via paypal. Works for me!
  • Listening to the Radio 2 news the other day, I heard a story where legal free downloads will soon be available in the UK.

An ISP called Play Louder https://www.playlouder.com have signed a deal with almost all of the independent labels and Sony Music to offer all their content on a free basis, with the mp3 cost covered by the ISP Broadband fees. Essentially, you sign up to them as your ISP and you get access to all of the music. The guy from Play Louder that they interviewed reckoned they would be charging the standard BT Broadband rate and would launch in October 2005.

Sounds like Sony may finally have faced up to the fact that they can't stamp out file sharing and that if they can't beat 'em, they'll join 'em! Whether there will be limits remains to be seen, but on the face of it, it could be the legal solution many of us have been waiting for.

Didanyone else hear this report?

I always use my Cahoot Webcard, as detailed here

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1117621318,18701,

If they do rip me off, there's a maximum I can lose. Quite a few people at work do the same.

Nick
  • richto
    richto Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    Have I misunderstood this post? I thought it meant that we were not to discuss or recommend the russian sites! Can someone explain what MSE Controller means by his post please. I obviously understand his message differently to other people.

He said not to 'recommend'. I dont see any restriction on 'discussing'

This dates from early this year when the legality of some of these sites was being questiond by the record companies and the concern would be that it could be seen to be encouraging copyright infringement.

I don't think that can be considered the case now unless the status quo changes again - eg Russian law changes or the Berne Convention is amended.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He said not to 'recommend'. I dont see any restriction on 'discussing'

But isn't this thread meant to be about where to find cheap music rather than a discussion about the legalities of certain sites.?

I'm a member of one of these sites myself, but I respect the rules of this forum enough not to discuss this in here.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport