The Great "Cheapest Legal Music Downloads" Hunt.

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mr_Skint wrote:
    So why do they make blank media then?
    Same reason they make photocopiers, video recorders, etc. They can be used for copying things that you do have the right to copy.
    koru
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    koru wrote:
    Same reason they make photocopiers, video recorders, etc. They can be used for copying things that you do have the right to copy.

My point exactly, All the big corporations make all these gadgets for copyng from, Carbon Paper to DVD Recordable discs and then they realise Oh bum weve dropped a clanger so how can you blame the public.

If musicians want to moan blame the corporations who invented it all in the first place.

Its like, I pass my driving test, get a car, buy the insurance and road tax, and fuel, then being told you, cant use it as we have public transport.

Well why the hell did you let me spend all that money if I have to get the bus.
  • koru
    safari wrote:
    The precedent on this is the famous Betamax case (Sony were sued by a TV or film studio and the judged ruled that personal copies were fair use IIRC), which has been accepted over here.
    I thought the Betamax judgement was slightly different: that although their VCRs could be used for illegal purposes, Sony could continue to sell them because they also had substantial legal uses. The same principles were considered recently by the US Supreme Court in relation to P2P firms (ie, should they be held responsible for the illegal use to which some customers put the P2P network?)

I thought the UK position on personal use is that copying to another media is technically illegal, but as long as you own one version of the copyright the music industry lawyers probably will not see it as a priority to come after you.
    koru
  • koru
    Mr_Skint wrote:
    Its like, I pass my driving test, get a car, buy the insurance and road tax, and fuel, then being told you, cant use it as we have public transport.
    I think a better analogy is that its like being told that you can't drive in an illegal manner, for instance by speeding. It is just a restriction on use, that's all.
    koru
  • safari_2
    safari_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    koru wrote:
    I thought the Betamax judgement was slightly different: that although their VCRs could be used for illegal purposes, Sony could continue to sell them because they also had substantial legal uses. The same principles were considered recently by the US Supreme Court in relation to P2P firms (ie, should they be held responsible for the illegal use to which some customers put the P2P network?)

I thought the UK position on personal use is that copying to another media is technically illegal, but as long as you own one version of the copyright the music industry lawyers probably will not see it as a priority to come after you.

Well that's what the music industry lawyers want you to think - that they're being terribly generous in allowing you to make personal copies! That way you won't complain too much when you suddenly find that CD you bought can't be copied to your ipod.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    koru wrote:
    I think a better analogy is that its like being told that you can't drive in an illegal manner, for instance by speeding. It is just a restriction on use, that's all.

Nah mines better more honest. :p
  • It's not the cheapest (though they sometimes have special offers), but Big Noise Music (http://www.bignoisemusic.com/) DOES donate money to Oxfam for every single track you buy, so you can listen to music and be charitable at the same time!

I can also highly recommend Emusic.com, which I've used on and off for years. Great selection of music, great quality files, and have never had any trouble at all cancelling my membership. The only downside is that occasionally certain albums are only available to users in North America - the vast majority are fine though.

Incidentally, if the 40 downloads a month package is too much for you, if you then go to cancel they will offer you a cheaper 20 downloads a month package!

This is my first ever post, so hope it's helpful!
  • safari_2
    safari_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    It's not the cheapest (though they sometimes have special offers), but Big Noise Music (http://www.bignoisemusic.com/) DOES donate money to Oxfam for every single track you buy, so you can listen to music and be charitable at the same time!

I can also highly recommend Emusic.com, which I've used on and off for years. Great selection of music, great quality files, and have never had any trouble at all cancelling my membership. The only downside is that occasionally certain albums are only available to users in North America - the vast majority are fine though.

Incidentally, if the 40 downloads a month package is too much for you, if you then go to cancel they will offer you a cheaper 20 downloads a month package!

This is my first ever post, so hope it's helpful!

Also https://www.warchildmusic.com

They have quite a lot of exclusive tracks from some big names. Only problem is that they're in WMA format so I don't think you can play them on an ipod.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • koru wrote:

I'm pretty sure it is technical illegal to copy from one format to another without permission (usually enforced via 'Digital Rights Management' on music downloads). The UK Patent office say, for example:

"Just buying a copy of a book, CD, video, computer program, etc. does not necessarily give you the right to make further copies (even for private use) or play or show them in public. The right to do these things will generally remain with the copyright owner, whose permission you would need. You should note that photocopying a work, scanning a work to produce an electronic copy and downloading a copy of a work which is in an electronic form (eg. on a CD-ROM or an on-line database) all involve copying the work so that permission to copy is generally needed."

source: http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy/indetail/usingcopyright.htm

However, you're right no one would ever bother to enforce this!
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    While there is still debate over the legalities of the Russian MP3 sites, it is in the best interest of the site and posters if we refrain from recommending them at present.

Regards

Have I misunderstood this post? I thought it meant that we were not to discuss or recommend the russian sites! Can someone explain what MSE Controller means by his post please. I obviously understand his message differently to other people.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport