Drainage Consultants - Advice Please

Options
Dear All,

This is my first time posting so please be gentle. Over the weekend, I had a blocked drain outside my kitchen. When I investigated this further, it turns out that the sewer on my land serving my property was blocked. I subsequently found out that it was my responsibility to unblock it. I telephoned up a local company in the yellow pages. I asked how much it was liekly to be, I told £65 per half hour. No call out charge.

They were at my property 20minutes.

Final bill reads (verbatim):

Suckout £60
30mins Labour £70
Waste Disposal £30
Call out Charge / Jetting £40
VAT£35

£235

Two issues I have. One is the call out charge and 1/2hourly rate. The other is to ask anyone is this about right? It seems a lot of money for something that didn't even require them to change clothing. If it is right then I will take the hit. Does anyone have any experience in these things.

Any advice would be appreciated. Then I will not post for another year :-)

Comments

• t_r
    t_r Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting that they are charging you for waste disposal because surely it has gone down your own waste pipe.
    Suckout what does that mean?
    I had a blocked drain went to the builders centre and bought a set of rods.£34 It took about an hour. Job done and I'm now the proud owner of draignage rods
    My opinions are purely my own act on them at your own risk :think:
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    It does seem steep, but normally they just have to jet so you may have to swallow the suck and dispose costs (gosh that sounds rude! lol) But I would argue they should have explained that before commencing the additional work - because that is what it is - additional. Since thay havent advised of it, it is cheeky to then charge for it, but the problem is it was only a verbal conversation...
    What I would really query however is why they are charging both a callout fee and a labour fee if it fell into the 1/2 half as you claim.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they misled you, I would imagine the £70 per 30 mins labour charge is the approximate £65. They probably "sucked" out the blockage, hence that charge, then they would have to dispose of it, so again that charge seems fair. I would query the Call Out Charge/ Jetting, which is it, if you were quoted "no call out charge" then charging one is a bit off! Though if jetting they could have jet washed down the pipe once they were finished...
  • adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they misled you, I would imagine the £70 per 30 mins labour charge is the approximate £65 you were quoted. They probably "sucked" out the blockage, hence that charge, then they would have to dispose of it, so again that charge seems fair. I would query the Call Out Charge/ Jetting, which is it, if you were quoted "no call out charge" then charging one is a bit off! Though if jetting they could have jet washed down the pipe once they were finished...
  • swebb
    swebb Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    If your house is pre 1937 read here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=747939

We had our unblocked (before finding out the info in the thread). Cost £70 all in.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like he thought he could mug you .
    I had a drain unblocked ..And a camera down to enable an engineers report.All for £135.00 incl.VAT.
    Do you know what caused the blockage .
  • mickeyd007
    mickeyd007 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys.

My house is pre 1937. I phoned Barnet council but they insist that because my house was the only one on the street pre 1937 (there is now a row of terraced houses, then it is my responsibility.

I phoned them, he said there might have been an error and will call me back. I wont hold my breath.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure