New Mastercard Advert - is this a sign?

Options
I know this might belong in the arms, but it scares me in there, and I like it here...

Anyway, just been having a huge rant at OH (poor thing!!) as have seen that mastercard advert yet again and I really really really object to it. For those who haven't seen it, it shows various children being let down by their parents (not playing footie with them, missing their school plays,etc) and then they tell them they're 'fired' before being 'bought' back - the final one is a 5 day sailing trip !!!!!!. :mad: What on earth are we turning into??? No wonder DD wants it all and then some no matter what. Feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Just wonder if anything I do to show the children a healthy attitude to money etc. will be wiped out by our consumer society.

Sorry. Feel better for the rant.:o
CCCS DMP:Feb 07
Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011

Comments

• MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Options
    No you are absolutely right. Society has gone wrong here. I think we are becoming too much like america. The have it all dream of family bliss. The reality is i want to "opt out", stay at home with my kids, grow veg, make things, bread, jam,clothes (?), meals together, and not have to think about how to make money to pay off my debts without my kids feeling badly done to.

My house is a pigsty,and I can't get for going. My kids (lovely as they are)know this, and still say, Mum can we build an extension or a music room with drums? They somehow don't believe me when i say I haven't any money left.
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,447 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    My teenager(sad to say) just doesent 'get' money at all.Sigh.
    Some of his peers get £5 per DAY to spend at lunch time.Arrrgh.
    Wont wash car cause Ill 'only' pay him £4.Sigh.Even bigger arrrgh.
    I could go on but wont.......
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MissKJ
    MissKJ Posts: 780 Forumite
    Options
    I really don't think kids in Spain and France are like that, or am I deluded? They other european countries do seem to have a low opinion of our kids behaviour etc.
    unsecured Debts at [strike]August 2007 £79,984[/strike] September £79,579 [STRIKE]Snowballing date July 2013[/STRIKE].

May 2009, £76,772 unsecured debts

DMP started Dec 2008, End date at start 2133!
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't seen it but it sounds awful!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • sallyx
    sallyx Posts: 15,815 Forumite
    Options
    Ive seen it Sea and it drives me mad too....society these days! I would love to go back to living the simple life, simple things and no dam credit, adverts or even TV...now could I live without DFW??? Um...
    I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change And breakaway. I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change and breakaway ....
    Finally Debt Free...
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree.....

My bugbear at the moment is the childrens tv channels. WHY are all the adverts for toys:mad: My DD is constantly asking for lelly kelly this and new toy this new toy that. They sure know how to get to us dont they............
  • kika
    kika Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I always used to tell my kids you can't have everything you see on the telly but now they're teenagers they still have no idea and refuse to do jobs if they think I'm paying too little :mad: Refusing to give in gets easier the more you do it!
    long haul no 65:sad:
    Official DFW nerd no 783
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • headoutthesand
    headoutthesand Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Totally agree.....

My bugbear at the moment is the childrens tv channels. WHY are all the adverts for toys:mad: My DD is constantly asking for lelly kelly this and new toy this new toy that. They sure know how to get to us dont they............

Not quite true...you forgot to mention the constant adverts for secured loans or co win no fee companies or debt solution companys (who by the way only charge a million pound to sort your debt out for you):mad:
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • headoutthesand
    headoutthesand Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    just finished posting the above post, turned to the telly and the advert was on.

Why can the same treatment not be given to debt adverts as is given to smoking advert - BAN THEM!!!
    Official DFW nerd no 551 - proud to be dealing with my debts
    Debts as of March 2014
    Nationwide - £5745, Overdraft - £350,
    Debts as of January 2015
    Nationwide - £4997, Overdraft - £0:j
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    buy now...pay for it later...in all senses of the phrase:rolleyes:
    It's no wonder kids are clueless when it comes to money when all they see is toys toys toys shoes toys etc
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport